What happened to the cool screen savers?

SolidShadow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
New Brunswick, Canada
Particularly the one that made your desktop look like an old movie reel? I was really looking forward to that. Seems a few things just didn't make the cut over the past few months I guess.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Particularly the one that made your desktop look like an old movie reel? I was really looking forward to that. Seems a few things just didn't make the cut over the past few months I guess.
I thought they did!! I thought It was just the hologram Star Wars effect and the invisable efect from iChat and AirPort disk back up utility(That aparently is a bug)!

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
They are there but you have to copy them from the developer folder (after youve installed the developer tools).. i cant remember the exact location but they are qtz files.. ones called retro and ones called security.

you just copy them to your /library/screensavers folder

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Is there any way I can get to them without installing all the developer tools?

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
Is there any way I can get to them without installing all the developer tools?
not to my knowledge.. the developer tools takes up around 2.5gb (well it does on my machine).. im pretty sure you could delete the folder after you are done with it.. Oh and I checked to see where they were.. which is Developer/Examples/Quartz Composer/Compositions/Screen Savers

I dont want to risk posting them as they are part of leopard and therefore copyrighted.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Where do you get these tools from?

Can someone not upload the screensavers?

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
Where do you get these tools from?

Can someone not upload the screensavers?

The developer tools are on the Leopard DVD.. put the disc and you will see them

Im pretty sure you will get shouted at if you upload the files.. they are part of the leopard DVD and therefore copyrighted material unless given prior permission.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
The .png files people are posting for the 3D dock are "copyrighted" too, but people are posting them here without any concerns.

Those screen savers will only work on Leopard, so what problems could it possibly cause?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.