What happened to the iPhone/Starbucks deal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ClemTiger0408, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

I remember like almost a year ago, Apple announced that it was partnering with Starbucks and that iPhone users could connect to the WiFi there and be taken to a special iTunes store which would show the songs that recently played and the ability to purchase them.

Whatever happened to that?

2. ClemTiger0408 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nevermind, I see the reason why I've never seen the functionality is because it is only available in a few select cities.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Chicago is one that's available now, I think.

Saw it on my iTunes Wi-Fi Store in a Starbucks the other day.

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

What I want to know about is the AT&T free wifi deal (not just to iTunes) for iPhones that was supposed to roll out at Starbucks and other locations. Whatever happened to that??

5. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

I believe it was killed in favor of Starbucks Card users getting 2hrs of WiFi free after a purchase.

6. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Here's how it works-

Buy a $5 Starbucks card. Then use that card to buy your coffee. Even if it goes over the $5. On the nvm of the card there is a URL, go there and register the card. Starbucks will send you a free drink coupon just for that.

Hen you complete the registration, it offers the free wifi as an option. Register for that as well. Then connect to the AT&t wifi, and enter the user name ans password.

Works for 2 hours a day, free of charge. All you have to do is add money to your Starbucks card at least once a month. Add $5, use it to buy coffee, and it never costs you anything.

7. ethan90 macrumors newbie

it works here in NY, although I don't see too much use in it personally

8. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i have att internet services so wifi is free in a few shops. infact, i think after i stand inline for the 3g, i will stroll over to barnes and noble (with a starbucks inside) and try out a few things!

9. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Ah, ok. That's a pretty sweet deal -- especially since it's free wifi not just for my phone, but laptop too. Looks like registering your card gives other little rewards too. And since I'm buying drinks at Starbucks on an almost daily basis anyway...

10. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Ok, so I bought a Starbucks card yesterday, registered it online, and went to my latest 'Bucks with a wifi hotspot. Tried to log in to AT&T's wifi site on my iPhone, but it was taking FOREVER to load -- like maybe 5 minutes or so. I finally got some semblance of a site, and entered my username/password and clicked enter. But then I got some sort of error page saying my username and/or password must have been wrong. Unfortunately, I couldn't go BACK to the previous login page!!

So I had to try and do the whole thing all over again. I tried to load the page again...and this time, it was taking even longer!! After what seemed like 10 minutes, I finally gave up. I switched my phone back to EDGE, and I was never so relieved to be on EDGE speeds!

I'll try one more time at another Starbucks -- but if I get this kind of problem again, I'm just not going to bother with it. I'll be happy with EDGE!

11. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Please keep us posted. I have a Duetto visa card that also doubles as a Starbuck card (I can add money to the card for use at Starbucks stores) so maybe i can score a password/username with that card. I am certainly going to give it a shot while on vacation, but if it is connection is that slow I might not even bother.

Jude

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, the 2 Starbucks I frequent in the Chicago area:

Both have 2 Wifi names you can log onto: TMobile and AT&T.

You can log into either with a T-Mobile or AT&T Account (free for T-Mobile Total Internet EDGE and AT&T DSL subscribers).

You don't need to log in with your iPhone, and you will have access to Stocks, Weather, and iTunes WiFi store. I assume you don't need a log in for the App Store coming up.

You do need to log in if you want your e-mails.

You do get the Starbucks logo on the lower left in the iTunes WiFi store, same if you are using iTunes on your laptop - the iTunes Store goes to a iTunes/Starbucks homepage instead of the normal store.

The "Now Playing" and "Recently Played List" don't work yet (at least in the stores I was at).

13. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I've used it at my local Starbucks, with varying results. Some times the redirect from the validation webpage is fast, other times slow. Make sure you select AT&T WiFi under providers, as that's the one that is associated with the Starbucks card. Also, make sure your WiFi selected is attwifi and not t-mobile.

14. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Ok, so I tried again at another Starbucks tonight, and at first it seemed like it wasn't working again (I was trying while waiting for my drink).

But then I soon as I sat down, the login page came on instantly (maybe closer to signal, I guess?). And then the wi-fi was lightning-quick after that! :)

I actually rarely use wifi with my iPhone -- I don't have it at home OR work -- and I forget how much nicer it is with faster speeds. It DOES make the thought of a 3G phone much more appealing. Argh! I still haven't made up my mind on whether to upgrade or not. :(

15. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

once you try a phone at 3G speed I'm sure your mind will be made up.

16. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

I too have been waiting for this [iTunes Starbucks/ Music Store] service and I can confirm today that it is also finally working in the Los Angeles area as well in the exact way as you have described (no log in screen needed, now playing and recently played not working yet.) I was kind of bummed because there was a really cool old jazz song playing and I was hoping to see what it was on my iPhone, but still, it was kind of interesting seeing the Starbucks logo there in the corner.

I asked the store manager when this finally started working and she said that some AT&T techs came out last week and switched over the modems but they still haven't linked up the music service part of it which pushes the "Now Playing" content to the iPhones. She said that should be fixed soon...

17. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

coincidentally, i just remembered that as i walked by starbucks today (in LA). worked perfectly, except for the "recently played" section

18. idyll macrumors 6502

For some reason I thought this would be available in all cities and for all devices (ie laptops as well).. Darn :(

19. venusian macrumors member

Do you need to be AT&T to get the free wireless in starbucks - I'm headed to the USA for xmas, and it'd be just another reason to bring my new iphone with me

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

AT&T DSL customer, or a T-Mobile Total Internet one. You can also purchase the Starbucks gift card and that gives you access