Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
My recent experience has been ios16 and ipados16 are harder on batteries. My usage of my ipad (11" pro) and iphone 12 mini has not changed, yet with both on 16, I find i can end up on 5% battery by early evening on the ipad and where the phone used to go 12 days on a charge, it now is in the 30-40% range by the end of the day after a charge.

As for stand-by, the devices go on charge at night with 3 hour timed charge limits (so the devices are not charging by 3 am at the latest). When I get up between 6 and 7, the ipad will have lost around 2%, the iphone around 7%. On 15, they would both be at 100% in the morning.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
My recent experience has been ios16 and ipados16 are harder on batteries. My usage of my ipad (11" pro) and iphone 12 mini has not changed, yet with both on 16, I find i can end up on 5% battery by early evening on the ipad and where the phone used to go 12 days on a charge, it now is in the 30-40% range by the end of the day after a charge.

As for stand-by, the devices go on charge at night with 3 hour timed charge limits (so the devices are not charging by 3 am at the latest). When I get up between 6 and 7, the ipad will have lost around 2%, the iphone around 7%. On 15, they would both be at 100% in the morning.
That’s pretty disappointing. Thank you for the information. It’s another reason to stay on 15.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

Hold on… because that’s abhorrent. Which version of the 11-inch iPad Pro? Because 100-5% on an iPad in one day sounds like a lot but it depends on usage; now, 4 hours of standby on an iPad should not drop 0% from any percentage, let alone 100% (which lasts a lot longer), and let alone the iPad dropping 2%! from 100% in merely 4 hours. That’s not good.

On my Air 5 on iPadOS 15, if it were to drop 100-98%, considering the 100-99% percentage point lasts 7 times the rest, it would be equivalent of a 2% drop… per hour! Needless to say, that’s not good.

Last edited:

scottSE

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
My God, I'm glad somebody else feels this.

They advertised 30 day standby time back in 2010. I want this back. Unfortunately, iPads are now treated like any other computer that we should use 10 hours a day and charge daily. I want the iPad to be the device that lurks around the kitchen and living room for casual use. Every time I pick my M1 Air up, the battery is dead.

iKoopa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
The Bronx, New York
Wow! Didn't think this topic would've generated so many responses. Just got caught up with everything.

Thanks for the good reads, and experiences with you guys' iPads. At this point I'm used to it now. Charging once a week isn't terrible, as I've been doing so for a while. I was just shocked when I came home to a dead iPad a few times because it wasn't that way before. Didn't realize how powerful iPad OS was under the hood. On the flipside, I thought with all the technological improvements, it would be better.

I only make so a big deal about standby because that's what I was used to before upgrading devices. Being able to pick it up and put it down without much thought was such a key factor. Still love my device nonetheless.

The speed and screen itself was such an upgrade compared to Gen 4. Low Power Mode also helps out a bit, so I just keep that toggled on since I barely notice the speed hit you get for activating it.

Cheers, everyone!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Honestly, iPad standby time hasn't been all that good for me since iOS 12 (probably 11, too but I skipped that upgrade).

Too much ET phone home and background system stuff going on.

That said, as long as it's not dropping 15% or more overnight (like my old Pro 10.5), I don't really mind since I'd be charging fairly frequently anyway since I use my iPads quite heavily (hours of daily onscreen time).

Also, do consider that the iPad 4 has a 42Wh battery while the iPad Air 4 barely has like 28Wh, iirc. A lot of the power optimizations went to making the device smaller or lighter.
I realised that for some reason I never mentioned this, but one of your long-standing points has been that iOS 12 initiated the decline, especially on your 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

I said that iOS 12 is fine standby-wise on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro, but something I didn't mention is that standby on my iPhone Xʀ (which has been running iOS 12 from the beginning, and runs iOS 12 to this day) is abhorrent. While there are some moments in which is quite good, it frequently isn't, dropping way too much when considering two factors:

-It's on the original version of iOS
-It has a large battery

My 6s on iOS 10 absolutely obliterates the Xʀ in terms of standby time (again, in support of your long-standing point that iOS 11 or 12 was the one to start the decline), and my iPhone 5c (also on iOS 10, unfortunately) is also astonishing, dropping from 100 to 93% in about 4 full days of standby, which would suggest that even a 32-bit device updated as far as it goes doesn't suffer iOS updates' impact in terms of standby time (again, supporting your point that iOS 11 onwards is exclusively to blame).

In my opinion, and regardless of my experience with the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, the fact that the iPhone designed for iOS 12 fails to provide a satisfactory standby time on that version is a far more solid argument supporting your point.

I don't know why my 9.7-inch iPad Pro is good, but it is clear that iOS 12 is infinitely worse than iOS 10 in terms of standby time, even if, for some unknown reason and like I said, my iPad on that version is good.

MiloCody

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2021
Mind as well get a flip phone while if you want weeks of stand by time.

Apple and oranges. 2 wildly different tablets even though they are both “iPads”

Even you said it yourself. A decade old tech!

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
iPad is a device Apple doesn’t give much F these days. Here in India, Apple has the audacity to sell 5G cellular iPad Pro models but only provide 5G enabling update to iPhones.

In short, they just don’t care about iPads and it’s software. It’s just like their minor side income.

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
Hi, my iPad Air 4 can drops almost 7 to 10%% per day while standby. If I disconnect Wifi, it drops 5/6%....
My wife's iPad only drops 4% on her old iPad 6th ben.
Do you think this is normal ? I was suspecting HomeKit issue but no proofs..... and nothing anormal in battery usage (iOS does not display system processus in battery usage!).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
FWIW, my 7th gen ipad sips battery on the latest release. Don't really have any battery life issues on the m1 ipad pro, but my spouse is on the thing at least 10 hours a day as it has virtually replace the SP4. That said, the less you use the device, the more you turn off battery life will be better. WIFI only devices have better battery life than cellular models. IMO, the latest ios releases have more going on under the hood. For example on the ipad, surfing on safari while watching PIP will drain the battery faster, than for example using notes.

But I haven't really found a dramatic decrease in ipad standby life over the last few years. Ours gets used consistently so they don't sit around for weeks and months without charging.

Last edited:

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Could be the FindMy network. Every time I get a weird overnight battery drain on my iPad (or iPhone), FindMy always comes up as using a whole heap of battery in those hours.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Could be the FindMy network. Every time I get a weird overnight battery drain on my iPad (or iPhone), FindMy always comes up as using a whole heap of battery in those hours.
Same, I have disabled it everywhere, but it's still reported as using all my stand-by battery

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Same, I have disabled it everywhere, but it's still reported as using all my stand-by battery
It's strange and inconsistent. It's definitely not just getting unfair blame as well, as when I don't get weird battery drain, FindMy is nowhere to be found. When I get weird battery drain, it's 100% of the stand-by battery usage.

Reactions: Digitalguy

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I'm pleasantly surprised that over the last year of being powered on constantly with the 5G radio always enabled and the Pencil always attached, my mini 6 has been the most consistent as far as drain in standby. I don't take any special pains with background app refresh or put it in low power mode or anything like that--just pick it up when I need it, put it down when I don't, charge it to 100% when it gets low.

While the standby drain is still a lot faster than what it used to be back in the old days, I find this refreshing after years of using iPad Pro models that always seemed to develop weird battery problems for me after about a year or so. I haven't owned an M1/M2 model yet--I'm sure someday I'll get to put an Apple Silicon model through its paces for the same amount of time and see what's that like.

I really do understand that heart sinking feeling though--you put your iPad down the night before at 90% after watching some videos or something, and in the morning it's at 50%. Then you think "Huh....maybe I was just so tired last night I am not remembering the percentage correctly." But no, at the end of the day, now it's down to 10% and thus begins the long, slow trudge of figuring out what app or OS update caused it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

The_Smarti

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
France
Here is my iPad Air 4 in Airplane mode losing more than 5% per day. Is it normal ?

1762DDD6-E123-415A-8924-D153659BF30A.jpeg

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Another data point to support many people’s assertion (myself included) that the issue started on iOS 12 or iPadOS 13, perhaps iOS 11, more or less: my iPhone 5c running iOS 10 - fully updated - dropped from 100% to 93% in four full days of standby. My iPhone 6s on iOS 10 shows similar standby time: magnificent, as it should be.

Like I mentioned, both of my devices on their original iOS version running iOS 12 or newer are far worse: my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 and my iPad Air 5 on iPadOS 15.

I have never used iOS 11, so the issue started either there, or back on iOS 12. iPads, iPhones, everything was affected, regardless of whether the iOS version was the original (like the two I mentioned).

Conversely, devices on older iOS versions are great on standby even if fully updated (my 5c, for example).

Many have mentioned similar experiences, and the fact that this is the case is rather disappointing: at least up until the iPhone 13 Pro Max, this would mean that the newest possible combo for best standby time would be an iPhone 7+ and a 10.5-inch iPad Pro running their original versions of iOS (some version of iOS 10).

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Another data point to support many people’s assertion (myself included) that the issue started on iOS 12 or iPadOS 13, perhaps iOS 11, more or less: my iPhone 5c running iOS 10 - fully updated - dropped from 100% to 93% in four full days of standby. My iPhone 6s on iOS 10 shows similar standby time: magnificent, as it should be.

Like I mentioned, both of my devices on their original iOS version running iOS 12 or newer are far worse: my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 and my iPad Air 5 on iPadOS 15.

I have never used iOS 11, so the issue started either there, or back on iOS 12. iPads, iPhones, everything was affected, regardless of whether the iOS version was the original (like the two I mentioned).

Conversely, devices on older iOS versions are great on standby even if fully updated (my 5c, for example).

Many have mentioned similar experiences, and the fact that this is the case is rather disappointing: at least up until the iPhone 13 Pro Max, this would mean that the newest possible combo for best standby time would be an iPhone 7+ and a 10.5-inch iPad Pro running their original versions of iOS (some version of iOS 10).
I think this sounds about right and I'm just not sure there's much that can be done about it at the moment. There is just a lot more going on in standby for an iPad/iPhone than there used to be.

This is a large part of the reason I've switched back to Mac for my full time workhorse instead of an iPad Pro--the standby times on these Apple Silicon machines are mind blowing. Just one of the many ways the Mac has leapfrogged the iPad in my opinion, and trust me, I say that with a heavy heart because I love the iPad.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I think this sounds about right and I'm just not sure there's much that can be done about it at the moment. There is just a lot more going on in standby for an iPad/iPhone than there used to be.

This is a large part of the reason I've switched back to Mac for my full time workhorse instead of an iPad Pro--the standby times on these Apple Silicon machines are mind blowing. Just one of the many ways the Mac has leapfrogged the iPad in my opinion, and trust me, I say that with a heavy heart because I love the iPad.
Yeah, and the weird thing is, that some iPads have Apple Silicon too. My iPad Air 5 on its original version of iOS with Apple Silicon (conditions are quite perfect, I’d say), isn’t anywhere near my iPhone 6s on iOS 10.

My Air 5 dropped 2% overnight. Which isn’t bad, but an iPad on its original version of iOS? I’d expect it to drop 0%. Maybe an iPhone with poor signal, but a Wi-Fi iPad with no radios enabled? (Wi-Fi was off too). It should drop 0%, like I said.

And I said in my earlier comment “at least up until the 13 Pro Max” due to battery life, I retract that statement: it is likely just as bad in standby. It’s an iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 10 and a 10.5-inch iPad Pro on iOS 10 for perfect standby, anything newer and it’s far worse.

It is very unfortunate, battery life has improved massively since then, and the issue isn’t noticeable in a regular day (unplug in the morning, use it until that same night), but as soon as you leave devices on standby for a little longer, they start dropping quite horribly, to be honest. By now, they should be better, not far worse than a six-year-old iOS version. The most egregious of all is that it happens on new devices with their original iOS versions, which should be, like I said, as close to a perfect condition as one can achieve. A fully updated, nearly 10-year-old iPhone 5c cannot, under any circumstances, be better than the latest iPad Air 5. And it is.

Edit: that said, for some reason and like I said, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro is fine on standby. Far better than the Air 5. It runs iOS 12. Perhaps it’s iPadOS 13, I wouldn’t know. I never used that version.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Technically, all iPads have Apple Silicon. The first custom SOC Apple made (A4) was for the original iPad.
You're right, I meant the M1, with Mac parity. Macs with M1 have great standby time according to what I've read, and iPads with an M1 don't, even on original iOS versions.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
You're right, I meant the M1, with Mac parity. Macs with M1 have great standby time according to what I've read, and iPads with an M1 don't, even on original iOS versions.
The only thing I was ever able to do to get my iPad Pros to stop when the standby drain would get excessive was put them in airplane mode, essentially turning off all the power-sucking radios and cutting off access to iCloud. This reduced standby drain to almost nothing--resembling what it used to be like in the old days. There was never anything excessive running in the background according to the battery reports, DFU restores didn't fix it, unit exchanges didn't fix it, etc. I spent far more time troubleshooting this specific issue than I'm usually willing to because it was really annoying and really deprecating my iPad usage experience.

I just don't think the current iPad form factor can contain the battery it takes to get standby time similar to what the Mac is getting. I'm not an engineer or anything like that--it's just a guess. On the flip side though (forgive me if I've already mentioned this) I never turn wifi or cellular or anything else off on my mini 6, and I think it does far better than the Pros I've had in standby regardless.

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The only thing I was ever able to do to get my iPad Pros to stop when the standby drain would get excessive was put them in airplane mode, essentially turning off all the power-sucking radios and cutting off access to iCloud. This reduced standby drain to almost nothing--resembling what it used to be like in the old days. There was never anything excessive running in the background according to the battery reports, DFU restores didn't fix it, unit exchanges didn't fix it, etc. I spent far more time troubleshooting this specific issue than I'm usually willing to because it was really annoying and really deprecating my iPad usage experience.

I just don't think the current iPad form factor can contain the battery it takes to get standby time similar to what the Mac is getting. I'm not an engineer or anything like that--it's just a guess. On the flip side though (forgive me if I've already mentioned this) I never turn wifi or cellular or anything else off on my mini 6, and I think it does far better than the Pros I've had in standby regardless.
Airplane mode improves it, but it is still far worse. I mentioned earlier that my iPhone Xʀ running iOS 12 isn’t good on standby: I recently left it for nearly 24 hours in Airplane Mode, with about 30 minutes of screen-on time throughout (which isn’t even enough to make it drop from 100%), and after 22 hours it had… 92%. So it lost at least 7% in one day of standby, with perfect conditions: optimized settings; Airplane Mode, and the original iOS version (12). My iPad Air 5 on iPadOS 15 (its original iOS version), drops 2 or 3% overnight, or a little more, after 9-10 hours. That is not good. 8% per day? For an iPad? It should drop 1% at most, if that.

So even full optimization - at least in my experience - isn’t enough to get good standby drain. Something is horribly worse, because if I put this much care into trying to get a half-decent standby, imagine what someone who just enables everything gets: the result would be abhorrent. What, 20% per day? More? It’s just not good, and people aren’t mentioning this.

Battery capacity might be a possible reason, but the reason falls apart when you look at iPhones: My iPhone 6s on iOS 10 has 63% capacity, about 1080 mAh. My Xʀ, when new, had nearly 3K mAh. So triple the battery capacity. I can assure you that my 6s on iOS 10 obliterates the Xʀ even with the latter on iOS 12.

For iPads, maybe iPadOS 13 was the issue, but somewhere around iOS 12 or iPadOS 13, something changed, for the worse. With all of the efficiency gains Apple has shown on hardware, it is really a wasted opportunity to see current flagships (both iPhones and iPads) on original iOS versions be obliterated by 7-year-old devices. Something broke in terms of standby, and there’s nothing the user can do to fix it. Software optimization through disabled settings and Airplane Mode only goes so far, the OS just does more on standby even with everything disabled, and only Apple can change that.

I mean, I’d call 8% per day quite abhorrent on a phone with a 3K mAh battery, but that’s just me. Why do I call it abhorrent? Because older devices were far better. My iPhone 6s on iOS 10 would probably need 4 days or more to drop to 92% on standby, even with a battery that’s one-third the Xʀ’s size.

As far as iPads go, another comment mentioned that they lose about 6% per day. Give or take some variation, we are talking about a similar drop as my iPhone. It should be better. It should be at most 1% every 24 hours. That’s how it used to be.

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I did notice my iPad Air 4th gen seemed to drain quickly. At first I thought it was my Pencil that was attached, but without pencil it also drains quickly. Don't use it much but when I need it after a week, it's annoying to find it completely drained from 100%.

Reactions: berkdmrc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.