What happened to the other jailbreak teams?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Heartcloud, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Heartcloud macrumors newbie

I haven't followed the JB scene in years as I didn't have the reason to jailbreak iOS 8/9 yet. What happened to the people who brought us the earlier iOS jailbreaks (iOS 1-7)? Like iOn1c, comex, evad3rs, etc? Jailbreaks for iOS8-9 have all been delivered by Chinese teams Pangu/TaiG which I'm proud of since I'm Chinese, but have the other American/European hackers all gave up on the JB scene?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

According to a few around here and in other parts, iOn1c teases personal jailbreaks but never releases anything.

The rise of Pangu and Taig came from the fact that with one of the final iOS 7 jailbreaks they used an expired certificate as part of their exploit. Something the other dev teams seemed unwilling to use - in addition to applying some exploits they picked up in a jailbreaking hacking class. That didn't go over very well with the dev teaching the class.

Since then I imagine there is quiet because someone else is doing the work.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I miss the original iphone dev team that brought us redsnow, pwnagetool, jailbreakme, ultrasnow and many other great hacks.

4. adonis3k macrumors 6502

5. joseph34 macrumors regular

6. Asator macrumors 6502a

Asator

Good luck beating the others.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

they grew up and are getting big $$ contracting their services to companies. its seems jailbreaking was their little hobby that broke them into their current jobs.

9. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Some of the methods used in some of the Pangu and Taig jailbreaks can only come from outside legal jurisdictions due to possible prosecutions. China is kind of out of the reach of the laws that govern other Dev's

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah, Chinese teams are pretty much untouchable from copyrights or tweaking private code.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very well said.
    If for example musclenerd or comex puts out a jb using even the slightest proprietary code used by Apple he can get sued and charged in us court and basically get stuck with tons of legal trouble and millions in damages.
    Chinese hacking teams don't play with any rules and can manipulate any code or exploit they want. Can't blame the original iPhone Dev team.
    I wouldn't want to get stuck getting sued and chased by a huge multibillion dollar company either. We saw what happened with geohot and Sony.

12. Dr. Freeman macrumors member

Dr. Freeman

GeoHot moved on, he's now making a driverless car

13. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Someone, anyone actually needs to hurry up and release a jailbreak, for Mac this time, I'm getting impatient. I haven't jailbroke iOS 9 at all.

14. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I still have my 6+/iPad Mini 2/ 5S jailbroken. My 5S lost it's Cydia app (safari cydia:// doesn't work) so I can no longer add or remove anything I have installed although it's still jailbroken.

I had my 6S+ jailbroken for a week but restored it last week after it kept respringing. Since I've restored to 9.2, it's done a respring once.