What happened to the PB updates???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kretzy, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. kretzy macrumors 604


    Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I've been reading this site for ages now, but this my first post.

    I was really hoping that Powerbook 'upgrades' would be announced at MWSF. :(

    All of the rumors prior to the event hinted to at least a general speed bump, which i would've been happy with as i need to buy a PB by the end of Jan (just before school starts, here in Aus anyway). But nothing.

    I can understand if Steve didn't want to announce such a minor update during his keynote, due to all the other cool stuff he had to talk about, but then why not just make it a silent update on the website and be done with it!

    How much longer do we have to wait (and i'm not talking G5/G4 dual core, just)????

    BTW I noticed that on the apple website iLife '05 only comes with the new mini mac. Should we expect it to be on all new macs eventually?
  2. jumpman25 macrumors regular

    Feb 23, 2004
    Belive me, everyone feels your pain. Even though the difference in performance between a 1.5 and a 1.67 G4 is negligible if that, I would still just feel a lot betting getting something that was new rather than 9 months old considering I will be laying down around 2500.00 when I place my order. I am currently trying to decide whether or not to just go with the 1.5. People have been saying that they are not even sure if apple will release updates until they can get a G5 or a Dual Core G4 in one, as a slight bump in the current G4 might not even be worth it. TS however says that they are confident that new powerbooks will be released soon with minor speed bumps. So it basically comes down to if you wait you may be waiting until june or later, and if you go with a 1.5, the new updates could come a few days later and you will be kicking yourself. Wow am I ever lost.
  3. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604


    Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm glad i'm not the only one!

    That's the thing I'd rather have something that is at least a bit newer rather than buying something that hasn't been updated for 9+ months

    I think i'll just buy whatever is out just before february, i can't wait till June/July.

    From what i've heard most ppl that have the 1.5 PBs love their notebooks anyway. Plus for my purposes an iBook would probably do the trick but i just want the PB sooo badly that i'll still get one regardless.
  4. mactropy macrumors member


    Dec 4, 2004
    I don't know if it is just me, but with the iBook being really close in features to the PowerBook, it seems that the PB has lost some value and credibility. really hope Apple will "up" it soon.
  5. efoto macrumors 68030

    Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    Check out the other updated features that TS referred to (cannot recall right now). If the processor is the only "major" change, then it is probably not worth waiting to go from 1.5 to 1.67 (assuming this all happens). If there are other features updated that you would personally benefit heavily from, then it would be wise to wait around as long as you can.

    I was looking 12", however a 1.33 to 1.5 jump does not impress me much, and since I forget the other feature changes (vaguely recall there was only perhaps one other on 12) I will probably order next week some time.

    You basically have to set a deadline for yourself and just click ORDER when that time comes. There will always be newer systems, you just have to decide when it is that you want to use your PB instead of wait for a new PB.
  6. Platform macrumors 68030


    Dec 30, 2004
    Think that they dropped the G4 update to the new G5 later this year ;)
  7. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Another small point: assuming they do a major update, it will be virtually impossible to get one for some time (see infinitely many previous threads on Apple's inability to meet demand), so you'll likely wait months - and, although the features will improve, the golden nugget - OS X - will be the same. Buy now, get it now. Buy with an upgrade, and, unless the upgrade is negligible (small speed bump), you'll have to wait a long time. Many, many people are waiting to order the next generation, and it'll take a long time to satisfy that demand.
  8. AdmittedPCuser macrumors member

    Jan 12, 2005
    Anyone heard of the G6 PowerBook?! Kidding!!!

    Hello, my name is Chris and I use a Dell. I've realized the first step is admitting my problem, so here I am. I hope you will all forgive me and help me recover.

    Okay, not that I got that out of the way... I too was waiting on baited breath yesterday for the PowerBook update. I have decided to purchase my first mac a little while ago, but it's been difficult to buy a product that was released last April (I come from a background of fear from Intel and Microsoft). However, it does make sense that Jobs would not want to use centre stage for an upgrade that is menial in comparison to all the new product launches (I know they are expecting great things from the Mac Mini).

    At the end of the day, here's my thought. iLife '05 comes out on Jan.22 in the States and Jan.29 in Canada (and worldwide), so I would imagine that Apple would at least update the software that is included with the PowerBook at that point. Or would they just quietly update the line along with iLife '05? I mean a dual core G4 or a G% in a PowerBook is BIG news... and something worthy of a Keynote. I doubt Apple, the leader of product marketing in my opinion, would announce something this big with a simple press release.

    Based on this, I have decided that I will wake up on January 29th (I live in Canada), go downstairs to get my coffee, come back up stairs and turn on my Dell, log into the Canadian Apple Store, and purchase the 15" PowerBook. No ifs, ands or buts... unless of course I read anything else about the PowerBooks on this site before then... at that point I may just wake up January 29th and cry.
  9. lalcan macrumors regular

    Sep 8, 2003
    Left of the center
    I was waiting for the updates, but, comparing the minimal upgrades to the iPodShuffle and the Mini Mac (hey, i know it's backwards but then again life is random, right? ;) ) the powerbooks would have been buuued off the stage, all in all, i think they will be released with iLife '05, so that puts my ETA in next tuesday :)

    They will be available immediately, so within a month i'll be the happy owner of a 12 incher.
  10. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604


    Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    Thanks for your responses!

    The thing is I'm not waiting for the next BIG update, just something that will make me feel as if i havent blown $3500 on something that has not been updated for so long.

    Even the slight improvements would make me feel better. By knowing that i got the best thing available at that time is reassuring with regards to the longevity and compatability of the product in the future.

    I suppose in the end i'll be happy with whatever i get, but the updates would have been the icing on the cake - sorry about the cliche, its late and i can't come up with anything better. lol
  11. Chrispy macrumors 68020


    Dec 27, 2004
    I agree that if there are updates to the powerbooks they would most likely come on Jan 22. I really needed a powerbook and I held out till MWSF to see if there were going to be updates. When there were no updates, I decided last night that since I was going to be ordering a BTO that I needed to just bite the bullet and order one. So.... since I have finally ordered my powerbook I am sure you will all be graced with the new updates ;)

    In reality, Apple usually makes software like iLife 05 available to people who buy computers after the announcement for around $20 bucks. This happened to me when I bought my iBook last october right before Panther. The 12" is getting so few upgrades that even if it does get upgraded I won't care too much. I will have my 80GB 5,400 RPM HD anyways so I will be happy! Happy powerbook shopping everyone :)
  12. Palad1 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 24, 2004
    London, UK
    Hello Chris!!!
  13. kotovasii macrumors member

    Jan 3, 2002
    HELP :-(((((((((

    I feel the same; I am sitting on a 4 year old IBM ThinkPad and biting my nails in the hope of at least some updates for PB. I want to have my first Mac but I cannot afford something like that very often, so it is really hard to make any decision… I need PB but to get end of line product is going to be very hard. I guess the cut off line should be put in place. What is this stuff about Tuesday updates???
  14. jdawg4324 macrumors member

    Jan 10, 2005
    Turlock CA
    GF wants PB

    My girl friend wants a power book bad. The money is in the bank. The gun is loaded just waiting for apple to pull the trigger. Why apple why are you waiting so long for an update. If apple does not update and I continue to not allow my gf to buy her laptop she is going to stop putting out and not sex for me is a very bad thing. come on apple now your messing with my sex life. :eek:
  15. AdmittedPCuser macrumors member

    Jan 12, 2005
    Hi Palad. The for the welcome... just read your guitar thread... as a fellow guitar player, that is truly painful to see... I'm just glad you got a new one.

    Looks like a few agree: Jan. 22 seems to be the day, based on iLife '05 coming out. I may end up joining some PowerBook support group or something until then... although, Apple hasn't messed with my sex life yet. Isn't that what marriage is for?
  16. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

    Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah, I'm not as desperate for a new PowerBook update as the jdawg is, but I'll definitely be buying one.

    *Fingers crossed for January 22nd or earlier*

    I don't mind not having the cutting edge, Revision A model of a G5 or dual-core PowerBook. As jsw said, even if it was announced today (yesterday!), supply problems would be so soggingly horrid that I wouldn't be able to lay my hands on one until June at the earliest. And then I'd have to play guinea pig with a RevA.

    So I'll be happy for this minor speedbump... specs might not be too impressive, but the ~$200 knock off the price certainly will be welcome. :D
  17. evilernie macrumors 6502


    Jan 6, 2005
    Count me in...

    Just had to chime in, you all are not alone. I'm anxiously looking forward to an update, ANY update... :D
  18. AdmittedPCuser macrumors member

    Jan 12, 2005
    Good Point George... Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a dual core or G5 PowerBook, but I'd honestly be worried about getting one of the first ones. Nothing against Apple, but just my general feeling about products in general, especially in the computer industry.

    So in reality waiting for a dual core / G5 could take a really long time. As people have mentioned, you'd have to deal with supply issues first and then, if you're like me, wait a little a while to see if they have any bugs/issues. Unless you can really afford the time, it's probably not worth it.

    C'mon January 22nd!!! (I'm not setting myself up for a let down, am I?)
  19. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

    Jun 14, 2004

Share This Page