What happened to the rumored iPhone5 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

After the shockingly disappointment in the iPhone4S announcement yesterday, with no iPhone5, I scratch my head asking WTF really happened to the "rumored" i5 ? So many people sounded pretty positive of a new design with a slightly larger screen.

Do you think there truly is an iPhone5 that was almost ready, and it ran into some technical hurdles and could not make it for October release ? Or were those mockups and leaks for the next 2012 iPhone, that might be released early in Spring along side an iPad3 ?

I was truly expecting the "iPhone5" to be announced yesterday. After 16 months Apple could have easily created a newly designed and updated device. They have the money and engineering team to knock out a home run. I just can not fathom why they did not ?

Was looking forward to possibly;

- Larger screen ?
    - 4G ?
    - NFC ?
    - thinner and lighter ?
    - Widgets ?
    - LED Notification Light ?

If Apple came out with redesigned iPhone5 with all those features I would leave Android and go back to Apple again. Now no thanks, bring on the Nexus-Prime.

I was expecting this;

[​IMG]

Or this;

[​IMG]

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

WAH WAH WAH is all I here. Apple didn't say they were gonna release an iPhone 5. Go to Andriod and be happy.

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Rude

4. psblake macrumors member

I keep reading that after "16 months" they should have plenty of time to upgrade the phone. Folks Apple has been working on the Iphone 5 way before the iphone 4 was released.

Corporations like Apple have an upgrade path planned out years in advance. It changes and is modified according to many different factors. Apple could easily have taken the guts of the 4S slapped it under a larger screen and different form factor and boom Iphone 5!

This was about the business, selling as many phones as possible. Apple knew what it was doing MONTHS ago with this release. They Also know when the 5 will be released and basically what it looks like right NOW. Apple has the suppliers and producers lined up to release the 5 now if they had made that commitment months ago but they did not do it

5. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

These decisions are planned 6-12 months in advance, likely when they released the iphone 4 first.

I suspect they planned to release the 4S in June, but for whatever reason it got delayed until October (my guess - they wanted to release it with iOS 5, and that had problems with Siri so they decided to delay the 4S till Oct too)

6. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

But true.

7. utl768 macrumors 6502

its locked away somewhere at apple headquarters

8. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

But so many sources sounded pretty sure of a new iPhone5, not just BGR :rolleyes:

WSJ, and Josh from Thisismynext, and many others said there was a newly redesigned device coming. Even the case leaks from Case-mate looked very legit. With so many tech blogs, and sites claiming a new i5 was coming, I wonder if it just got stuck in development due to some issues ? Because I just can't believe after 16 months the iPhone4S is the best Apple could come up with, doesn't make sense.

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Not really rude ... just BRUTALLY HONEST !!!

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

What about after 12 months? What if the 4S was always planned for this summer and the 5 was planned for next summer? The delay just set everyone up to expect more....but perhaps more was never in the plan until 2012?

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Call it what you want. Apple never stated that they were going to come out with an iPhone 5 this year. Now people are bitching and moaning that it's only an iPhone 4S. Dont like it? Go buy an Android or Windows 7 phone.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

OP already said all this in another thread. Why do people here insist that their tiny little opinions are so important?

13. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know a lot of die hard Apple fans, family and friends, said they were looking forward to a larger 4" screen #1, and being thinner and lighter #2 with some other new features they all wanted.

Every one of those people will now look at Windows-Mango first, and possibly a Galaxy S II or Nexus-Prime.

I understand Apple never once said they would release a new iPhone5 right now. But the expectations for such a device were well warranted, and Apple had a longer time frame in development, 16 months I would thought that meant they were taking longer in developing an all new from the ground up iPhone device.

14. ckc macrumors regular

...and of course if Apple had just called the 4S an iPhone 5 all of the complainers would now be having an orgasm and proclaiming that in a few days they would be getting their new 'iPhone 5'. :D

Rumours about the iPhone 5 were just that, that's why they are called rumours

15. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I don't know...why did you take the time to post your tiny little opinion of his tiny little opinion?

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

But that's the problem, everyone is making that assumption. But the delay very well may have been for iOS5/Siri.

17. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Tech-heads maybe (I confess I personally wouldn't mind a larger screen), but I suspect that Apple believe that the majority of smartphone buyers don't, at least not yet. Remember Android sells lots of phones with smaller screens too. I don't know if there's any numbers available, but I bet the majority of Android phones selling now are with screens similar too or smaller than the iPhone.

I won't comment on WP7, as it doesn't yet sell in sufficient numbers for anything statistically significant to be gained from analysis of it's sales.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

Rude yes, but he has a point. All people like the OP try and do is post how much they feel "wronged" by Apple.

Anyone with half a brain could tell you it would have been a spec bump this year, since last year was a case redesign. Its a pattern. Technology only moves so fast and Apple isn't about to make the iPhone thicker, only thinner.

Also the "bigger screen" thing people seem to argue about is stupid as well. I for one don't want a bigger screen. I like the size of my phone, it fits in my pocket nicely.

19. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

notifcacion

dammit i wanted a notification LED

20. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

-just because your friends were looking forward to it don't make it happen
    -your expectations does not make Apple do something
    -Apple is on a 2 year form factor cycle
    -16 month time frame means nothing, it was gonna be the same form factor from day 1.
    -2012 new form factor
    -2014 new form factor

21. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple could have at least added that, with the new "Notification Center" it would go along perfectly. But obviously Apple is all about money, and wanted to keep the exact same shell as the current iPhone4 to keep productions costs down.

Innovation :rolleyes: