What happened to the thread lock icon?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MacNut, Mar 14, 2019 at 5:32 PM.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's a pain in the butt to surf the forums only to find out that the thread has been locked after reading the whole thing. Did the lock go away in the newest software update?

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Clear cache etc.? Also tried Firefox, works there too (in addition to Safari).

--Eric

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

This is a known bug with the software I believe. It all depends on which browser and/or OS you're using and if it displays those particular icons or not.
    On my Mac, with Safari, Firefox and Chrome I do not see them. But on my Ubuntu 18.10 PC and Firefox I do see them.

Ubuntu 18.10 Firefox

Chrome macOS.png

All the rest on macOS
    Firefox macOS.png
    Firefox Ubuntu 18-10.png
    Safari.png

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I've had it where it was sometimes missing and sometimes present using the same browser/OS at different times during the day or across different days. Seems like based on some past discussions about it (linked in another reply here) there might be some sort of a network/hosting strangeness component to it, in one way or another.

8. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I tried using Safari, Safari Technology Preview, Opera, Chrome, FireFox and Vivaldi. I see the

"Thread Status:Not open for further replies." message. But no lock icon on any of them.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

The lock and pushpin icons are sprites on the following image:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/styles/macrumors/uix/sprite.png

AFAIK, everyone gets and uses the same image. So open that link in your browser and see what it looks like.

Here's the same image presented as an image:

[​IMG]

If you don't see an array of tiny icons directly above this line, then the sprites-image isn't showing up on your computer, for some unknown reason.

I think the sprites need to be extracted from the larger image using JavaScript. Assuming that's true, it's possible that the script to extract or draw the sprites failed to load, or has encountered some kind of error.

EDIT
    I just disabled JavaScript and reloaded the forum-page. The pushpin and lock icons appeared, so now I'm pretty sure the sprites don't need JavaScript enabled. But I could be wrong. Debugging is so much fun.

10. SDColorado, Mar 15, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 9:58 PM

SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I see the sprites icons just fine following that link and in the image you posted, but don't see the lock icon regardless of which browser I use. Not sure why :)

Edit: I see the lock icons just fine on my Surface Pro, using mostly the same browsers. Is the issue on my Mac due to the Mojave Beta 4?

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

When clicking on the link, on my Mac, I see this

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 5.41.24 AM.png

However, I don't see them normally when on the Mac.

I do see them on my other UNIX-Like machines and when I use a Windows machine.