What happened to the Walkie-Talkie function?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Silverlink, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Silverlink macrumors member

It seems like Apple have dropped the Walkie-Talkie communication method from the Apple Watch? I see no mention of it on the page that covers "new ways to connect".

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Walkie Talkie? This wasnt even discussed in the original annoucement. Are you talking about sending voice messages in a text message?

3. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Yes it was. That was the function, but they were calling it Walkie-Talkie

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Hmm, I'm going to go back and watch it again.

5. JamesPDX macrumors 65816

JamesPDX

Walkie Textie

To use Siri, etc. in this way? That would be -just plain handy- if you were able to use it w/o having your phone in your pocket, etc. I'm sure there will be a solution at some point.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

7. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Here was the marketing.

Attached Files:

8. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

It was for sending voice messages. You can use Siri on the watch simply by raising your wrist and beginning with 'Hey Siri so and so', you won't need your phone in your pocket for this, or anywhere near you, since it uses Bluetooth and P2P WiFi to connect to your phone. For example, your phone could be charging in your bedroom and you could be in the kitchen asking Siri to look something up for you, or open an app, or start a timer right as you're putting something in the oven.

Alternatively, you can press and hold the digital crown to bring Siri up.

9. JamesPDX macrumors 65816

JamesPDX

Keywording

Was.

10. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

11. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

12. jordanst macrumors member

jordanst

The walkie talkie feature was separate from making a normal phone call. It was a part of digital touch.
    They probably removed it because you could already send an audio message via messages, and it would add additional complexity to digital touch (it already has drawing, tapping, and heartbeat).

13. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

Tim Cook personally mentions the Walkie-Talkie feature himself in the September event keynote. Skip to 1:38:29, he says "Still another loves the walkie-talkie ability. The list of features is a mile long."

14. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Basically the voice iMessage option is the same thing.

15. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Not entirely true.. from what I think this is all included in digital touch with drawing etc

16. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

It will either be there or be added as a third party app. It is probably viewed as a little confusing because iMessages has voice recording which people largely don't use right now.

I think what people don't realize is that the watch will start driving us to use dictation much more. And it will also drive sending voice messages. You will have to chose between sending voice message right there using Siri on your wrist or getting your phone out of your pocket, finding the home button on it, pressing and holding to pull up Siri. At which point you might as well have just gone into the iMessage and typed and a message.

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Third party developers don't have access to the watch microphone, so it can't be added as a third party app. Best they can do is have Siri give them text based on what the user said.

18. viachicago22, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

Which, by the way, is interesting to me. You're right, people don't seem to use this feature much. I thought it'd be more popular. Anyway, isn't this the same thing? Sounds like they just dropped the walkie talkie name. [​IMG]

19. Silverlink thread starter macrumors member

Looks like the user would have to press play in order to hear the message, not the same as a Walkie Talkie mode, whereby the user would instantly hear the other person talking, without having to touch their watch.

20. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

Ah I see. So it was an app then? Hmm, well, great catch. I wonder if it's gone. Seems like it could've been some fun.

21. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

It might not be the same. With a voice message, you choose when to listen to it, don't you? With a walkie-talkie feature, I'd expect that (if the watch owner enables it in their settings), the message would be played automatically as soon as it comes through.

22. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Consider the way walkie talkies work - if it is on, a voice can come over the speaker at any time. Unlike a phone call or voice message, there's no ring or chime and the recipient doesn't have to do anything first before the sender starts speaking. Suddenly, you just have a voice coming over your speaker.

"So how is this different that just having a phone call in progress, and just talking when you feel like it?" A phone call would be using your minutes even if you're not talking, and it would prevent other calls from coming in.

Now you might think, " I don't want to just suddenly hear talking coming from my wrist!"

Of course, so this feature would have to be turned on in advance between the parties involved (more than two people? Why not?). And if you no longer want to participate, you simply turn the feature off.

"Ok, but what technology would it use, if not voice minutes?" Apple could just send it all over data, and have their servers handle it the way they currently handle Face Time and Face Time Audio, iMessages.

"Why would anyone want to do this anyway?" Well, the same could be asked awhile back about text messages and Twitter, etc.

It would be an enhancement to the texting, and audio messaging. Basically, people would use it for fun they way some do with walkie talkies for fun, or for utility in various situations when 2 or more people might need to.

"Well, that's just dumb, we already have voice calling and conference calling for two or more people, why reinvent the wheel?"

Why come up with iMessages? Why Face Time? Face Time Audio? Audio Messages? Apple is finding more and more ways to bypass the traditional, and expensive services the carriers provide. And these only work between people using Apple devices. It's a huge value-added for Apple devices.

Can you think of some ways you might use it for work? Remember push-to-talk a decade ago? Lots of people liked it, especially on job sites.

23. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Yes, walkie talkies can be better in some situations than calls. Calling means waiting for someone to pick up. If you are coordinating with someone this can be better. I've used walkie talkies in long caravan driving situations. Much better to just grab the walkie talkie and then suddenly be talking to the guy in the car ahead of you saying you need to pitstop. Or maybe that you didn't catch a light and that he pulled too far ahead of you.

24. Silverlink thread starter macrumors member

I've tried many walkie talkie apps on the iPhone and none have really worked like a true walkie talkie, so when they mentioned this feature at the first Apple Watch event, I was very interested. There are tons of uses: Hotel and retail staff, warehouse workers, construction sites. For me, it was just a simple way to chat with my wife, while we ran or biked outdoors, as I'd always end up far ahead of her :rolleyes: