What happened to this picture?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mynewromantica, Nov 4, 2010.

1. mynewromantica, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

mynewromantica macrumors regular

What in the world is going on with this lens flare? I have never seen this before.

I don't know if this helps but here are the shot details.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, shot at 24mm, 1/1000th, ISO 100, f/2.8.

[​IMG]

2. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

You're pointing the camera directly at the sun when it's high in the sky... which is bound to 'blow out' all detail to white... and create lens flare of various shapes and sizes.

3. Messy macrumors 6502

4. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

That's an angel outside of the church. Human eyes cannot see it but the camera's CCD can.

5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Lol right...

The only cameras I've ever heard of being damaged by the sun are during time-lapse or always on CCTV

Are you talking about the giant irregular blue "circle" because I cannot explain that unless it was drawn on (which it does look like it was).

However the flare is somewhat normal looking. It isn't all the way normal looking because the processing has created a false pinkish color on it. If it was shot in RAW, you can usually mess with the "recovery" slider to make that weird purple/blue halo thing go away.

6. mynewromantica thread starter macrumors regular

I know what a lens flare is and what causes it. What I am asking about specifically is what is in the blue circle. It is obviously part of the flare but not like any flare I have seen before. Flares normally are round but this is not. I am just curious as to why it is so weird.

7. jared_kipe, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Flare that is in focus.

EDIT: Example of similar flare from one of my own photos.

Attached Files:

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think it is an internal refection. Yes they are round when the sun is more centered in the photo. The glass surfaces of a lens element are more or less parallel near the center but more wedge shape near the edges. The refection is geometrically distorted the same way your image is in a fun house mirror

I don't know but I'd bet this was taken with a zoom lens of some kind. Zoms tend to have many elements ad are prone to this kind of thing

9. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Are you using some crappy (read: uncoated) filter on your lens? This will cause all kinds of weird reflections, especially when shooting in the direction of the sun.

10. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I for one do not use protective filters. Never have. my 24-70L has been unprotected for 3+ years or so without any protection, just be careful.

11. mynewromantica thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. No filters.

12. apearlman macrumors regular

Debris?

The weird shape makes me think it's some debris on or inside your lens that happened to be in focus. Have you checked for it?

Also, has it appeared in any other photos? Can you make it appear again? That might offer clues about what causes it.

13. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Seriously, the shape is not weird. Don't freak out the OP.