Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
A short while back was a thread that had a fair few posts.

Link Here

Seems that the iPad is just going to use the same gestures and methods of typing as the ipod touch/ iPhone, but bigger, no real learning curve.
Maybe one of the prototypes???

Just something reminded me about this and i was wondering what other people though.

:apple:Mike

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
a. that was a rumor.

b. typing on it w/o setting your fingers on the keys may take some getting used to, but even though I envision a learning curve there, I think most people will get up to speed and feel natural within a few weeks.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
a. that was a rumor.

b. typing on it w/o setting your fingers on the keys may take some getting used to, but even though I envision a learning curve there, I think most people will get up to speed and feel natural within a few weeks.

I had my mom using the iPhone interface within about 10 min. She is very technophobic, so that means quite a bit.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The whole GUI will be different on the iPad. system wide controls and layers will be something people will have to learn about because any owner of a Mac or an iPhone has not used it before.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I had my mom using the iPhone interface within about 10 min. She is very technophobic, so that means quite a bit.

My wife still can't type on it even just to look something up in Maps or dial a phone number from contacts. The presses on the screen but somehow can't ever get it to work right for her, yet my dad has no problem with it and his thick fingers. She is quite the technophobe. User error always climaxes with "Piece of Crap _______!!!!"

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
I've always thought that rumor was bunk - I can't imagine Steve Jobs allowing Apple to release any product with a steep learning curve.

fretwater

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Did you watch Schiller multi-touching the iWork programs? That looked steep to me.

I think it'll take a while to learn to run iWork intuitively. That's where it looked steep to me. But it might end up being a WAY cooler way to run productivity programs. In fact, I'm counting on it. A good bit of new sexy, as I think someone said.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I've always thought that rumor was bunk - I can't imagine Steve Jobs allowing Apple to release any product with a steep learning curve.

Good point. That may be why there is so much opposition to the product. Any product that doesn't make techno-geeks feel superior to everyone else is obviously no good.

If I can't run some variant of linux on it to make everyone else feel inferior I don't want it. :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Well based on the fact many around here still can't wrap their head around the fact it doesn't have Flash, SD slot, USB, OS X, HDTV, multi-mind reading, or the ability to answer the meaning of life -- or at least their life (maybe lack thereof?), I'd say it does have a steep learning curve for some. So rumor proves real.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Well based on the fact many around here still can't wrap their head around the fact it doesn't have Flash, SD slot, USB, OS X, HDTV, multi-mind reading, or the ability to answer the meaning of life -- or at least their life (maybe lack thereof?), I'd say it does have a steep learning curve for some. So rumor proves real.

lol, ya but come on, these poor kids need something they can take to school and do REAL work on. Their needs are not being met....

229551714_a5b4f7bc43.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.