What happened?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by strelok1911, Sep 14, 2011.

1. strelok1911 macrumors member

So I'm trying to create a new account with iCloud beta (as I can't log in my current one for some reason) to test it and I see this message:

[​IMG]

What happened? Is iCloud only free (to sign up?) to iOS users?

2. KsbjA macrumors newbie

Looks that way. Apple also says on their site the iCloud is "free with iOS 5", but no word about free iCloud for Lion users. IMO it's a lame move by Apple. But maybe you can ask somebody you know who has an iOS 5 device to make an iCloud account for you? That's how I got mine. :D

3. yeticomes macrumors newbie

You need an iOS & Mac Dev Account, don't you?

4. Ayman250 macrumors member

Ayman250

Yes. iCloud is a service that requires an iOS device. Its pretty much useless without one so i don't see why you want it if you have no devices to use it with.

5. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Did Jobs not say in the keynote that iCloud was available for people with iOS5 or Lion?

----------

2+ mac's? Backing up contacts, calendar etc and getting access to them via iCloud.com? Email?

6. jsolares macrumors 6502a

I was able to create an icloud account way back with the beta 2 release of icloud and i don't have a dev account

7. kepardue macrumors 6502

I can't imagine that *only* iOS users would be able to get iCloud. That's a super lame move if so (reference the above comment talking about syncing Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, etc. between two different Lion Macs). I mean, I have an iOS device, but I'd be ticked if that's the only way I could enroll in it.

It is just beta still, after all though. I'm giving Apple the benefit of the doubt.