What happenes to the PC?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Clarence, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Clarence macrumors regular

Hey all...

I assume that there are some folks like me here who have recently made the move from PC to Mac. I own a Dell 8400 P4, 20.1FP Flat Panel, CD-DVD burner, PrinterFaxCopier, etc.... But now I dont use it. Havent turned it on in 3 months. I checked out resale value on the 'Bay, but for what its worth, it would almost make more sense to incorporate it in some other fuction.

What did you folks do with your PC's when you came to the dark side? Any suggestions?

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

install linux on it and put a couple hard drives in it and use it as a file server on your network.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Donate it to a local school or other not-for-profit?

B

4. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Thats better than burning it. I think. :confused:

5. Pac a Mac macrumors regular

Pac a Mac

I gave mine to the local primary school. Most schools use PCs in UK because they are cheap and run the school curriculum stuff. I was going to give it to my own kids but that would have meant I still had to mess about with the usual PC probs. Solved that by buying my self a new iMac nad gave the kids the G4 lamp. Still going strong after 5 years and never touched it except to increase RAM.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I still use my PC's. As much as I'd like to 'cut and run' to OS X, I'll be using Windows for a long time yet. I loathe my PC's, but some of them cost a pretty penny and I can't be bothered to move some of the applications into Parallels just yet.

If you can do without your PC boxes, though, then by all means sell 'em!

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I dont use my PC at home that often now, unless I didn't bring my laptop home from work. I dont even know what to do with the 19" CRT right now, I do have a 17" LCD hooked up as well, but there is no point selling the CRT, it's worth like $20.

8. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I got an old PC to use to play classic- windows only games, but I think the linux file server idea is good. (so is donating it, if you need a tax break)

9. Clarence thread starter macrumors regular

will my dell monitor work with my mbp? I know the printer sure doesent...

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have 3 PCs that will be retired this September when I finally switch the kids over. I will consolidate the drives into one box and install ubuntu. The remaining pieces will be used for spares. This will be my "play around" box. Not sure about donating to schools; we don't want the local children infected by the dark side. :D

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

What I do with aging computers is hook them to my stereo for itunes playback.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

should without a problem. if its vga only you might need a converter from dvi though.

13. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Donate to local school or other organization, as others have mentioned.
    As long as they give you some sort of receipt, you may take a tax deduction.

I've never had a PC to give away, but I did donate a beige G3 Desktop to a local school in '03. For piece of mind, I removed the drive and gave them a fresh one. Not too expensive, and they were glad to get it. Evil doers are getting quite crafty at digging stuff from old computer hard drives. Bear this in mind when you sell an old computer, or donate it.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Douse it in kerosene, light a match, and scamper to safety. ;) :D :cool: :apple:

15. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I agree. but you should format the hard drive and re-install windows and the correct drivers, that way you don't have to worry about private data.

You also get a tax break if you itemize (if you're in the u.s.)

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Actually you should do more than format the drive, you should wipe it, but I agree with the sentiment.

You can also freecycle it, look for a local chapter near you http://www.freecycle.org

B