What happens after 3 years?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bern1812, Apr 1, 2008.

1. bern1812 macrumors member

Well im new here and I'm looking to make the jump to Mac for college next year. Ive decided on a Blackbook for next year. I really want it now, but ill probably be getting it around back to school time after graduation (thought im trying every argument i can come up with to get it now).

My question though is about applecare. What happens after your three years is up? Can you renew it for another three or are you out of luck?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No you cannot renew. It can be like me where you go problem free for 3 years or you have issues. Either way I say get AppleCare. I also say wait for the summer sales. Apple is big on back to school and you can often land yourself a nice little freebie.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's over after three. Apple assumes that you'll need a faster computer by then, and if you're getting a MacBook, you very well may.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Just for comparison's sake, the best warranty that you can get on a PC is 4 years, and once those 4 years are up you can't renew it either.

5. bern1812 thread starter macrumors member

If i buy my macbook from my university i have an option for a fourth year

too bad its 329 dollars:eek:

i figure in three years ill be ready for a new laptop anyway...my budget may say otherwise though:rolleyes:

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you feel the need (re: peace of mind) to buy AppleCare, for the love of Pete don't buy it from Apple. You can find it cheaper elsewhere like Amazon or eBay or LA Computing.

7. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Unnecessary

Warranties are overrated...

You get one year free with the purchase of a new machine. I got a blackbook two years ago, had issues with it for the first year, Apple took care of the issues. Now my machine has a new, milder set of issues that do not need servicing because they do not interfere with my use of the machine (which is daily use in three different locations and constantly being jostled in a heavy backpack). If I had Apple care maybe I would fix them...but giving up your machine for a week or two is a hassel...I'm happy to leave well enough alone.

If you are particularly scared hardware malfunctions, get a warranty. But if you think about it, most of the hardware/craftmanship malfunctions will manifest within the first few months of use. Save a couple bucks.

8. bern1812 thread starter macrumors member

Im probably going to be buying it from my universities notebook program. The applecare comes w/ it, and its not an option to not get it. I like having a little piece of mind though. The dell xps laptop im on now, the left mouse button broke a week after my warranty was up.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely keep an eye on the Edu discounts, but even a refurbished MB has the same warranty as a brand new MB! :cool:

10. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

lol, are you asking how you can get your parents to get you your macbook before H graduation?

if so i had the problem, the way i solved it, is that i sad i didn't want anything for christmas, and that i could use the macbook during High school, and during college.

11. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Most people look for a new machine after 3 years. 3 years from now, we'll be looking at a new OS, new version of iLife, and a host of other hardware changes. So in three years, it would be worth it to considert a new machine.

Anyway, if something was to happen to your machine after 3 years then it is fair to say you got your money's worth. You throw it on eBay for a few hundred bucks and put the money towards the "new hottness".