What happens after a factory reset?

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I have an iPAD 4. It has iOS 9. Will this factory reset return to the original conditions, which means the older iOS installed in iPAD 4?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I have an iPAD 4. It has iOS 9. Will this factory reset return to the original conditions, which means the older iOS installed in iPAD 4?
everything is erased. whatever version of iOS is the same and stays there

the iOS device clears the effaceable storage area that holds your block cipher, thus rendering any data on the ipad as unreadable and signs the ipad out of iCloud and turns off find my iPhone

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
the iOS device clears the effaceable storage area that holds your block cipher, thus rendering any data on the ipad as unreadable and signs the ipad out of iCloud and turns off find my iPhone
Actually, you have to manually sign out of iCloud and turn find my iPhone off prior to performing a clean restore. If not, the iPad will have activation lock enabled. It will not do this automatically.

OP - it will perform a clean install of iOS 9.

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Not according to Apple, "When you erase your content, Find My iPhone and Activation Lock are also turned off." (see https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695)
Thank your for the link. I apologize - I was using anecdotal evidence.

I had restored an iPhone before via the DFU/iTunes process and activation lock was enabled but that would make sense as a complete erase wasn't done prior.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Actually, you have to manually sign out of iCloud and turn find my iPhone off prior to performing a clean restore. If not, the iPad will have activation lock enabled. It will not do this automatically.

OP - it will perform a clean install of iOS 9.
i was talking about having the iPhone or ipad in our physical possession and doing an ' erase content and settings' that removes the device from iCloud. and turns off find my phone. however , its probably a good idea to sign out of messages and facetime first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.