What happens after a factory reset?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Perene, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Perene macrumors 6502

Perene

I have an iPAD 4. It has iOS 9. Will this factory reset return to the original conditions, which means the older iOS installed in iPAD 4?

2. james4u macrumors newbie

Hi, yes definitely, resetting would let you get default IOS State.
    Windows 8.1 ISO.

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

everything is erased. whatever version of iOS is the same and stays there

the iOS device clears the effaceable storage area that holds your block cipher, thus rendering any data on the ipad as unreadable and signs the ipad out of iCloud and turns off find my iPhone

4. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Actually, you have to manually sign out of iCloud and turn find my iPhone off prior to performing a clean restore. If not, the iPad will have activation lock enabled. It will not do this automatically.

OP - it will perform a clean install of iOS 9.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

Not according to Apple, "When you erase your content, Find My iPhone and Activation Lock are also turned off." (see https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695)

6. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Thank your for the link. I apologize - I was using anecdotal evidence.

I had restored an iPhone before via the DFU/iTunes process and activation lock was enabled but that would make sense as a complete erase wasn't done prior.

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i was talking about having the iPhone or ipad in our physical possession and doing an ' erase content and settings' that removes the device from iCloud. and turns off find my phone. however , its probably a good idea to sign out of messages and facetime first.