Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applejane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
If you return a Macbook Pro within the first 14 days, how does Apple protect your privacy? Do they format the computers and then sell them through the refurbished section of their site? If so, do they use secure formatting options (such as 3-pass or 7-pass erase)?

Thanks,
Jane

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't trust another company to protect my privacy. I suspect they may reformat the drive but I'm not willing to bet my data on it.

If I were to return a Mac, I'd go through the secure erase (if its a hard drive) to ensure the data is properly expunged.

Hoping that Apple uses the secure erase on returned equipment is probably not the best option.

applejane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Fair enough...

I don't trust another company to protect my privacy. I suspect they may reformat the drive but I'm not willing to bet my data on it.

If I were to return a Mac, I'd go through the secure erase (if its a hard drive) to ensure the data is properly expunged.

Hoping that Apple uses the secure erase on returned equipment is probably not the best option.

TickleMeElmo

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
I'm quite sure that they secure erase the drives they receive as refunds. However, to make sure you should reformat your drive and secure erase it. The erase is particularly important if you are running an SSD due to the way that flash stores data in blocks and controllers handle reformatting.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I'd just about guarantee that they do a secure erase, simply because of the negative PR if they didn't and someone ran some data recovery software and got back even insignificant stuff. That said, I'd do it myself before sending one back too.

jW

applejane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Thank you all for your replies. I think the general consensus is yes they do format, but don't rely on them to do what you should really be doing yourself. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.