What happens after Dev period ends?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Crzyrio, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Hey,

So last year I signed up to be a dev as I started playing around with writing apps, however I dont have much time anymore.

My DEV account is said to expire end of this month and was wondering what would happen to my device, that has iOS6 installed, after it expires.

Will it immediately stop working or will I still be able to use it till it expires?

Thanks
    Rioch

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The current beta will keep working till it expires. But any attempt to restore or upgrade the beta once it's expired will fail

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

As of now iOS 6 betas do not require registrations with a dev account so as long as that continues to be the case you should be fine.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Out of curiosity, what would you do in this case to get back to a live version of iOS?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've never let my dev subscription expire :D But people report that you can use DFU mode to restore back to a prior public firmware.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

When your account is no longer a dev, you can shift+restore to 5.1.1 in iTunes (no DFU mode required UNLESS the actual BETA has expired). You can probably keep using it and update to newer betas (if and when there are any more) as people have proven you don't need to be a dev to use the betas.

7. nyfg56 macrumors newbie

So will my iPhone be unusable and unable to downgrade if it expires before i downgrade? Also how do I get to my older backup that do not show up anymore? ie: my ios5 backups

8. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

What I did:

1) Backup using iCloud (that's the one that will be upgraded to iOS6 and can not be reverted)
    2) Change the backup setting from iCloud to iTunes
    3) Backup on iTunes
    4) Move back to iCloud backup.

This way, if anything fails, I do have a "recent" iOS5 backup. But it can become stale very quickly.

If you are a non-dev, please do think twice before installing the beta. I won't go on my high horse and say that you should not, bla bla bla effing bla. Just be mindful that it is a beta and please, report any bugs you encounter.

9. nyfg56 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. And FWIW I have been on iOS 6 beta 4 since I got my iphone like 2 weeks ago haha. No problems other than there is a bug in iMessage that makes it delete my recent messages every once in a while but if I leave the app and remove it from my recent apps and open it fresh they reappear