what happens - Facetime on iPad & Mac?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by btownguy, Mar 18, 2011.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

Let's say I'm sitting here at my desk. My iPad is sitting on the desk connected via wifi. My MacBook Pro is sitting on the desk connected via wifi. What happens if someone Facetimes me at my email address? Will both my MBP and my iPad "ring" until I answer the Facetime call on one of the devices?

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I believe so. Get someone with a FaceTime device to test it for you or PM me your email address and I'll FaceTime you real quick.

3. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate the offer but I don't actually have an iPad 2. The question was basically out of curiosity. I bought an iPad 1 for $100 off and am pretty happy with that. I will get a later version but not just the iPad 2. I'm basically wondering if you need a separate email address for every installation of Facetime you have. I'd prefer if you can just put in the same email address in every Facetime installation and they all ring.

4. langis.elbasunu macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

they will both ring....skype does the same thing actually

5. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Yes, if both devices are using the same e-mail address for Facetime, then they will both ring. Alternatively, you could use unique addresses if you want to specifically ring one device, but then of course the party ringing you would have to know which is which. Personally, I'd prefer that all of my devices ring so that I can answer the call wherever I am.

6. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Yes, they both ring. My dad called me this week - I answered on the mac, and had a 'missed facetime call' on the iphone.

7. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

It wouldn't connect for me. Pretend my email is johndoe@gmail.com. When I tried to facetime my macbook pro from my ipad it wouldn't connect and vice versa. It would connect and disconnect very quickly.

Easy workaround was adding johndoe+ipad@gmail.com to my ipad facetime settings and johndoe+macbookpro@gmail.com to my macbook facetime settings.

Problem solved and didn't have to set up a new gmail account.

Also makes it easy to facetime just one particular device instead of everything ringing at once

8. Expirobo macrumors newbie

Possible Work Around

Not saying this is a 'FIX' but it works better than having to edit the DNS everytime you switch networks.

First, I just purchased a new iPad (iPad 3) and I have an iPhone 4 and MBP 2011 model. I was testin Facetime between all three, both inbound and outbound from each. Couldn't get the iPad to receive any incoming. It would ring once then notify me on the other device they are unavailable.

Out of curiosity, I decided to create a separate Facetime account for my iPad using another email address I have on hand. Now this isn't changing anything regarding my Apple account, just adding another Apple id to the primary account.

To Fix:

Go into Settings -> Facetime -> Create new apple id

So my iPhone uses the phone number to receive inbound Facetime, my MBP uses my primary email for inbound, and my iPad uses a separate email.

All works flawlessly now. A little complicated, but works better than having to edit DNS every time you connect to a new network (Home, Work, School, Coffee shop, Hotel, etc)