What happens if hackers find Apple's exploit for factory unlocks?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ILikeToJB, May 1, 2010.

1. ILikeToJB macrumors member

Apple has to insert an unlock code somehow, right? If we can find the exploit they use, we meaning the hackers, then we'll be able to have almost like a permanetly unlocked iPhone? We can then do something kind of like the SHSH server on Cydia's side, and distribute factory unlocks. I think someone needs to probably record the data iTunes is giving out when factory unlocking the iPhone. Thats probably a way hackers can get in. I'm sure this has been thought of before, but it doesn't seem to be that anyone's given any thought to it really. Do you think its possible and that the Dev Team and Geohot should look for this exploit?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Factory unlock codes are applied during activation. They are unique to the individual phone, and do not appear to be algorithmic (so that they cannot be calculated). They are likely assigned at the factory and stored in a database, without access to which it is not possible to apply a factory unlock. The Dev Team has thoroughly investigated this approach, and have said that it is not workable.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

(AFAIK) I believe the factory unlock is tied to the IMEI so when you restore it connects to a database that indicates the phone is indeed unlocked. I doubt spoofing this is possible and changing one's IMEI is illegal.

4. ILikeToJB thread starter macrumors member

Okay, time for plan B! Call the Mafia and tell them to talk to Steve Jobs and tell him we want factory unlocks in the US! ....Or else!

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

That would be AT&T. Apple doesn't care if your phone gets unlocked or not. In the US, it's the carrier's decision.

6. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

It has been done in other countries so many times, if you purchase an iphone without contract, you have to have rights to use it as unlocked!!!!

I don't get it why AT&T is behaving like that...

7. bks691 macrumors regular

Every phone I've ever had with ATT I have just called them and requested an unlock code ( ATT usually e-mails them in a couple of days ) The iphone is the exception. ATT will not unlock them, which makes me think... I thought federal legislation was passed sometime ago requiring carriers to unlock a phone if the customer requested it and the account was in good standing? How does ATT get away with it on the iPhone :confused:

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. bks691 macrumors regular

Oh, because I've had a couple phones in the past that had an exclusive agreement with ATT and they were unlocked by ATT with no problems at all :confused:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What phones were those?
    The only one I can think off that AT&T has that noone else sells would be the iphone. But again AT&T will unlock almost any device they sell but the iphone.

11. bks691 macrumors regular

One of them was the blackjack 2 and I can't think of the other ones name right now. When the blackjack first came out it was exclusive to ATT.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

AT&T isn't stupid, if they unlocked the iPhones, at least 50% of their customers would go to T-mobile.

Now if some time in the future, t-Mobile gets the iPhone, you might see unlocks in the US.

13. iphonegeek786 macrumors 6502

iphonegeek786

That would be a true dream. I wouldn't have to worry about an unlock. Majority of users unlock to use on T-mobile. I dont blame them (or me). Talk about the prices. But each plan fits their own needs.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

In the US, that is the only reason to unlock (other than a vacation outside the US)

15. gongtowjai macrumors newbie

True...but TMobile uses a different frequency on the 3G side, 1700mhz. I don't think the Iphone is compatible to it. I'm sure it will pick up the EDGE side or leave it on for wifi.

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

AT&T gives unlock codes for all their other phones if you ask; the iPhone is clearly capable of being unlocked if AT&T gave apple the okay. I wonder why they don't, when they do for every other phone.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because of this: $$$$$$$$

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Official iPhone carriers do the unlocks, but use Apple's servers and encryption.
    Apple just provides the hardware.

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This is true and well known, but still doesn't stop alot of owners from going to T-mobile.