What happens if I am not home for delivery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rugburn, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Rugburn macrumors member

I have to work until noon on Friday. What happens if I miss delivery? Can I get it later that day? Wait for them to try again another day?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

If its with UPS, typically they will try again the next working day, and one more after that. They will not come back the same day.

3. smokechaser macrumors regular

smokechaser

I don't know about your city but this is my experience. Missed the delivery because working, discovered paper on door, called customer service to ask where it is, they tell me to pick it up that night at the local warehouse around 7pm.

4. iOz macrumors regular

Or when you get the shipment notification.
    Sign the delivery release authorization, print it and leave it on the door and they will leave the package.

5. Escher2112 macrumors member

In general they have to attempt 1 delivery first... then you can call and have it held at the local hub for pickup. I've done this with both fedex and ups.

6. questionmark32 macrumors regular

How early do they deliver? Is it usually first thing in the morning (before 10am) or later in the evening (5-7pm)?

And who usually delivers it, UPS or FedEx? I only ask because at my apartment, FedEx leaves it in the mailing office which is more secure while UPS leaves it at the apartment door which in my opinion is really stupid.

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

it's usually UPS as far as i can remember. 3 attempts to deliver depending on their schedule. but if im not mistaken they will reattempt 3 consecutive days. if not, then you have to call them and make arrangements.

8. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

It depends on who is delivering it (UPS, FedEx, etc) but I've always done a pre-sign authorization (FedEx) or just simply left a note on the door (UPS). Understand that the shipping company is generally no longer responsible if you give them consent to leave the package at your door.

9. questionmark32 macrumors regular

How early did they come to your place? Morning or afternoon?

----------

That's the problem. I have never given UPS permission to leave any package at my door. I'm gonna have to call them if I find out that they are shipping my phone.

10. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I have also called my local UPS hub the trucks are dispatched from and asked them to hold the package in their facility after a failed delivery attempt. If I know I have work or won't be home in the next two business days to receive the 2nd and 3rd attempts, I'd rather pick it up myself rather than leave it on my doorstep...

They have always been happy to oblige, and I would just swing by after work to pick up my package. Might be worth calling about.

11. bigmac58 macrumors member

I worried about this, too so I switched the shipping address to my office. I worried this might screw things up a little but I'm guessing it's ok since my card has been charged and it's being prepped for shipping.

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

If you are not there, they chuck it into the woods and move on.:D

I kid, i kid (oh From A Buick 8, you keep me young).

If it is UPS you might be able to use the tracking number on their website and requst them to keep the package at their hub so you can just pick it up there.

13. Jman13 macrumors 68000

No one can tell you time because we don't know where you are in your drivwr's route. One thing to note is that delivery will almost certainly be a little later than normal, since they'll be making a LOT of stops on Friday.

My driver usually comes around 5.. On iPhone day, it's usually 7-8. If you miss, just call and pick it up yourself on Monday (or Saturday if your UPS/FedEx hub is open then). My Fedex hub can usually give a delivery at the hub the same night of a miss, but UPS won't. Also, if it's UPS and you have MyChoice, you can have it held at the hub before a delivery attempt (I did that last year). You can also reroute it to your work for a fee, I believe, but the iPhone delivery might not be eligible for rerouting.

14. mantan macrumors 68000

If it's UPS you can download the app and request shipments be held. (You'd likely have to pick it up the next day.)

Side note - everyone try to be understanding to your UPS/Fed Ex driver. I have a buddy who works for UPS who says Apple launch days are chaotic. He literally has people stopping him all throughout his route trying to get their stuff early...not understanding how it just ends up slowing things down for everybody. Or acting a fool when their stuff isn't there at a certain time. Or the people who complain for their phone not being left for a signature...and others who complain about boxes being subject to theft.

They know everyone is excited, but like he jokes, kids at Christmas are more calm and rational.

15. kevink2 macrumors 65816

One of the reasons I ordered through ATT this time rather than apple.com. Of course, apple.com was down at 2am CDT Friday. ATT allowed me to specify a different shipping address. apple.com has never allowed me to specify a different shipping address than my billing address for phones.

To be safe, later in the day I called my CC company and added my work address to my account. Some companies check that.

----------

I'm also hoping that, since shipped to my office, that it won't be late in the day. Closer to the UPS office. And UPS knows that the office is only open until 4:30pm. I've received deliveries by UPS at home after 7pm when they didn't show up during the day while I was gone. If I get it at work, the phone should be activated and restored from backup before 7, and I'll be out of town.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think the driver gets to keep the iPhone as a consolation prize...

17. Ryan8 macrumors newbie

Can your wife/husband sign for the package if you aren't home? Or does it have to be signed by the person it's addressed to?

18. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I don't know how close you are to Fedex and UPS outlets. I am close to both and they both offer the option of having your package held at an outlet for you to pick up. This is what I am going to do. I do not want to be worrying about whether I will be home or not.

19. ORK8 macrumors member

Ditto that! It's a long, miserable day for a lot of drivers. I always make sure to have a little something for my delivery guy on launch day. I started doing it just to show my appreciation, but it turned out to have an added bonus. Now he lets me know what time he'll be by on what he calls New Apple Day.

20. uchosen macrumors 6502

21. bunger macrumors 6502

22. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

most of my deliveries are afternoon.. 5S was around 3pm

23. stretch80 macrumors regular

stretch80

My orders usually come via UPS so I call and have it held at my local hub. Then I can pick it up at my convenience :)