What happens if I delete iPhone files?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JLEW700, Jun 29, 2010.

1. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

I know its probably a stupid question, but what happens if I use a program like cyberduck and go in and start deleting files and folders from my iphone? Once those files are gone, can I ever get them back? If I try to re-install the original firmware will the iPhone go back to normal?

2. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

You will most likely delete something that will break your phone. Do you go into your OS and start deleting folders? Not a smart idea.

Restoring should bring your phone back to factory settings, so yes, those folders/files would most likely retrun. I still wouldn't try it though.

Did you do this, or is this a hypothetical?

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

How 'bout you just not do it?
    If you delete stuff like app data, it will do just that. If you delete stuff like the /root folder, eventually, depending on what you delete, your iPhone won't boot and you will need to restore. Restoring will replace all of the necessary files back to the iPhone.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Let's ignore the insanity of deleting your iOS files for a moment. My question is why would you want to delete these files in the first place?
    Whether you're a mac or windows user, do you delete the files in your OS too?

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Why would you even ask ? You are correct, it is a stupid (and pointless) question. FAIL !