what happens if i install 3.0 and im jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by maiden16tiger, Jun 16, 2009.

1. maiden16tiger macrumors member

my iphone is jailbroken, but i want the 3.0 software. if i updated it, i know it will become normal again.. but it wont get bricked right?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. transam7816 macrumors regular

4. Tone1271 macrumors newbie

5. patrickvanzandt macrumors member

You say you know it will become "normal again", but then ask if it will become "bricked"? Those two don't exactly co-exist!

There has never been a bricking issue with jailbroken phones, and the only time there was a brick issue with unlocked iphones was way back with the 1.1.1 update.

Installing the 3.0 release, just like re-installing the 2.2.1, will put everything back to "normal". You will no longer be jailbroken. If you want to jailbreak again, then wait for the release of QuickPwn for 3.0 and jailbreak again.

6. jamiesv macrumors newbie

but don't you have to update itunes to be able to download the update and i thought that if you update itunes you wont be able to plug in your jail-broken iphone into itunes?

So in the easy sense, my question is, if my iphone is 2.2.1 and jail-broken will i be able to update itunes and then still plug it in, and then just install the 3.0 update as normal, and then jailbreak it again once it's 3.0? :p

reply's would be greatly appreciated :D

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It is my understanding one should remove all apps from Categories folders before updating to 3.0

Is this correct ??

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Incorrect. Just update and get 3.0.

9. jamiesv macrumors newbie

Thank you, my phone is unlocked, once on 3.0 if i jailbreak it will it be sim free again?

10. jacobsen1 macrumors member

yeah, I'm also curious on this one...

also, I have a few "free" apps on my jailbroken 2.2.1 I'd like to pay for and keep. How do I do that w/o losing any of the data in them? (roadtrip is my prime example)

11. calvy macrumors 65816

Yes, this is true. If you don't remove them from Categories, when you restore to stock firmware everything you had in a categories folder will be "missing" and you'll wonder why the hell your app isn't showing up even though it's in the list of installed apps.

This is why I hate categories.

12. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Steve Jobs sends you a personal SMS which permanently disables your phone. ;)

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yea, after removing all my apps from Categories folders, everything stayed, even Road Trip and all it's data.

Some nice new stuff in 3.0.

14. SogeKing macrumors newbie

categories

this may be a stupid question but how do i remove everything out of my categories folder do i need to do that over ssh or thru itunes?

15. utopia699 macrumors newbie

Why cant i just update/restore to 3.0, and jailbreak when QuickPwn is released? where is the problem?

16. 42gb macrumors member

I upgraded my jailbroken phone and now I can't add/remove apps through iTunes. Also, I still see all my hacked apps on the phone, but, not surprisingly, they won't open now. We'll have to see how things turn out after I rejailbreak on Friday.

17. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Exactly my situation. Upgraded this afternoon from jailbroken 2.2.1 to 3.0 and I now have a perfectly working, "normal" iPhone 3G on 3.0. As soon as the dev team posts it, I'll be jailbreaking this to get my other apps back.

18. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

For me...it was 12 hours worth of hell. Update itunes to 8.2, then do it.

19. Hobbes714 macrumors newbie

This happened to me. What do i do???? Please please help. I am restoring now.