What happens if I rebuild iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vmachiel, Dec 8, 2011.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

So for some reason some of my photo's just won't sync to my iPhone. (itunes said it did it, but they are not there). Now i found on the web that you can rebuild your library and i want to try this. But: will i loose any of my location/faces/rating etc? I spend a lot of time inputing this, so i don't want to loose it:)

Thank you

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Rebuilding the iPhoto Library shouldn't result in data loss, however it would be advisable to make a duplicate of the library or back it up with Time Machine before doing so.

You should also, before trying to rebuild the library, create another iPhoto Library and test syncing the pictures. If it doesn't work with a new iPhoto Library, rebuilding will not fix the issue. To create a new iPhoto Library, launch iPhoto holding the option key, and choose the Create New... option. By default it will try to save in ~/Pictures as iPhoto Library_2. Then import some photos, try to sync them to your iPhone. To switch back to the original library at any time, quit iPhoto if it's open, hold option and relaunch then select the original and click Choose.

3. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000