What happens if I share my Leopard installation discs with another person?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vitek, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Vitek macrumors newbie

Well yeah that person is my girlfriend... so um... what happens if I share them with her?

2. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

your conscience will never let you rest peacefully

3. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

What happens? Well...what happens is that a rift in the space time continuum appears and sucks you in. That is what happens. :D

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There is nothing technically from keeping you from doing this. The disks will work.

However, you are violating Apples EULA -- even if you purchased a Family Pack because the GF does not count.

5. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

What he said....

6. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Unless you bought a family pack (which entitles you 5 installs for macs residing in the same household), you only have a license for 1 install on 1 computer.

Ethically you are stealing and should purchase another copy for her.

Technically there is nothing stopping you from putting it on more than 1 mac.

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Bah! I'm an Apple stockholder so my conscience is at ease after my horrid act of using my one purchased Leopard install disk on both of my macs.

8. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I am going to bring up your confession at the next shareholder meeting.

9. hajime macrumors 68030

If you have the family pack and she is willing to get married with you because of that, I don't see any problem.

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

you will go to hell......................................see you there;) (not for the same reason tho)

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I know you were joking, but should I seriously buy 3 copies for my wife's MB, my MB and my iMac? :eek:

12. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

The family pack lets you do this for $199 I believe instead of spending $129.99 x 3.

13. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

psh. nothing.
    do not think twice about it either.
    ive installed leapord, iwork and ilife more than 10 times each. nothing happened:)

leave it to apple to tell you you can only use your cd once.
    so even if you delete your comp you have to buy another.
    smart marketing. stupid concept.

14. admanimal macrumors 68040

Your understanding of the license is incorrect. You are only allowed to have it installed on one Apple computer at a time. If you erase your hard drive and/or buy a new computer and remove it from the old one, you are free to install it again.

15. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

If Apple were in the music business I suppose I'd have to buy a different CD depending on whether I was a single guy or had a family that were going to listen to it. Kind of like erecting a toll gate in the middle of the desert, isn't it? I mean, does anyone buy a family discount? Why? Because Apple say so?

Yeah, I know, sidetracking towards political concepts...

16. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya but you are still able for it to work. as i have deleted mine only 3 times and have leapord on 7 other macs along with ilife and iphoto, and did the same on tiger (which i dont know if they said the same)

but legally i understand, only 1 at a time in use.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I bought the Family Pack. Why? Because it's the decent, honest thing to do. Not that hard a concept to understand, is it?

18. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Perhaps you also bought it with a real, steady income via a stable career. Some individuals are students with barely enough money to function but need a mac for educational necessity. But I guess they should spend the extra $125 (after student discounts, since Family isn't discounted) to install on multiple macs they own :rolleyes:, or their fiancee's device, etc. Not that hard a concept to understand either, eh?

19. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I don't see how your self-righteousness is relevant in this case. You're telling me you'd feel guilty if you bought a single user version, then bought another computer and used the same copy? I suppose you'd go and buy another single user or sell the single user on ebay and buy a family pack. Good on you. I'm sure you'll get into heaven no problem. :rolleyes:

20. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

In the end Apple is a Hardware company, if Apple cared a whole lot they would have it serial numbered with a lengthy authentication process.

21. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya i was going to go off

mrsmith
    have you ever done anything illegal on your computer?
    Because i am sure most of us here have broken laws so much that they do not even remember they were supposed or not directed to do something.

22. bamaworks macrumors 6502

The Apple gnomes come out of your superdrive and eat your face off. It's rather vicious and I DO NOT recommend it.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Okay, so I am a student and don't have the funds, then someone should give it to me for free? Don't think so.

Imagine going into a restaurant and eating dinner, then telling the manager/waiter/owner, I'm sorry, but I cannot pay. But that's okay, I am a student and need the nutrition to function but cannot pay?

Simply amazing.

24. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

OS X EULA: So I know that a family pack is 5 licenses under the same roof. Does it say anything about having to be a "family" though? I'm married with only one Mac so it has no baring on me. But I am curious. If you had 4 roommates and you all lived under the same roof, could you buy a family pack and would it still be legal under the EULA?

25. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

What's that got to do with anything? When you buy a mac it comes with a licensed version of OS X. No-one forces anyone to buy Leopard: If you can't afford it then you simply use the version that comes with your Mac. There are plenty of things I'd like but can't afford, so I just don't buy them - I don't expect someone to give me them for nothing, and I certainly don't rip them off...