what happens if the Synology NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nemesis379, Jan 6, 2014.

1. nemesis379 macrumors member

Sorry to hijack the thread but,

Can someone tell me what happens if the Synology NAS fails but the hard drives are ok, are you able to setup the replacement NAS to work with the hard drives?

Thanks in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you get the same model, you just need to put the disks in the new NAS and keep on chugging.

[MOD NOTE]
    I split out your question from the other thread since its not germane to the topic.

3. nemesis379 thread starter macrumors member

4. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Someone else noted same model should work, and it is also possible that a unit with a larger number of bays could import the group as well.

In the end, if you want a definitive answer, you really should speak with Synology.

5. 537635 macrumors 6502

6. nemesis379 thread starter macrumors member

7. eladnova macrumors member

Can I ask, does the Synology use any proprietary formats? Apart from the actual UI of the control panel etc?

I seem to recall a post years ago from a photographer using a Drobo and finding out that all his files and data were on some kind of proprietary setup.

Was considering getting a Synology Slim and didn't want any headaches.

8. 537635 macrumors 6502

EXT4 file system.
    Classic RAID disk redundancy.

Although with SHR RAID (if you choose it) you get some exotic combinations of RAID to achieve maximum volume size and it will only work with Synology's systems (obviously, since SHR stands for Synology Hybrid RAID :) ).

Headaches? There's always headaches when there's hardware (or software) failure. Depending on the level of one's backup quality we can discuss whether it is an Aspirin headache or a lobotomy one.