What happens if they want to see your old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMacUser324, Jul 5, 2008.

1. iMacUser324 macrumors regular

iMacUser324

Those of you who have sold your iPhone but kept the data plan on your account, when you go by a iPhone 3G, what if they ask to see your old iPhone. Because I am planning to borrow my friends iPhone which they don't use since its broken, but she still has the data plan on her account and is temporarily using a crappy phone till the 3G. I was going to borrow it, activate it on my sim, and just put my sim back in my phone till Friday. Lets hope all goes well.

2. aosman macrumors 6502

IMHO I don't think you should run into any issues.

3. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

4. iMacUser324 thread starter macrumors regular

iMacUser324

sorry

5. McGiord, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The old SIM doesn't work with the 3G, and the it can be setup with a new number via iTunes so they may need to port/setup your phone number in the new SIM during activation. I think they don't physically need it.
    ________
    volcano vaporizer review

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Since the account should still show your iPhone as your current phone and the data plan is active, there shouldn't be a problem. The phones come with a new SIM, so there wouldn't be anything they need to process this without issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

And responses like yours annoy me (as well as many others). If you have nothing positive to contribute, simply move along. You are not a mod. Learn to cope.

7. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Actually, the old sim should work fine with the 3G iPhone. I know my old iPhone came with a 3G SIM. In fact, I recall tons of threads where people thought we either had 3G or that it would be some sort of software patch (humorous!) and their "proof" was that we already had 3G SIM cards. However, I do think the standard process will simply be to use the new sim that comes in the box with the 3G.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your contribution to this thread is amazing.
    I wouldn't be sorry. This person can skip the threads where the titles are annoying. There was nothing forcing them to read. BUT your title should be somewhat descriptive.

As for the question, I seriously doubt AT&T is going to ask to see the phone. They were rather specific with their data plans and calling it the "iPhone" plan. You had to have a qualified device to get such plan, which at the time was less than a Blackberry plan I believe. I would be surprised if I were to walk into the store to get a new phone and they demanded to see my old one. Providing I was paying for the data plan continually throughout the term of my contract I wouldn't oblige them if they asked for the phone.

9. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

like said above- it's the plan- not the hardware that counts. i lost my iphone about 2 months ago. i had to call and suspend the account- which means i'm still paying for the plan but the phone number was suspended.

after talking with att (quite a few times), i've been told just to come in on the 11th, pay my subsidized price and they'll program the sim.

10. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

It's unfortunate that criticism is so quickly dismissed as non-constructive. My purpose was help the poster to get his posts read by people who actually care about what he/she is writing by letting him know how his title affected me. I certainly didn't expect to be sarcastically belittled by a Demi-Goddess who then basically repeats my criticism. Perhaps Art school has ruined me for the rest of the world but I have found that criticism is our friend.

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

To help smooth waters - there is a lesser known work around - OP go to your original post, edit, go to Advanced edit - then change the title to something more productive (I'd imagine this is the exact same thing a Mod would do if they were so inclined to make the title more useful...

12. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I think the tension of this release, or no release in the case of the PAYG :confused:, of the iPhone is beginning to get to the best of us. Everybody just breathe deeply :p, everything will be ok soon ... I hope :eek: