What happens if u use more that 5 gig cap?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by juan370Z, Jul 19, 2010.

1. juan370Z macrumors regular

So I have unlimited and lately I been using veetle a lot And I'm in 4.5 gigs what happens if I go over 5 gig unlimited cap?

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

There is no 5GB cap. I am at 7.56 GB halfway through my month. I constantly do about 8-9GB a month and have for the past year. I download HD tv shows and podcasts all the time.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

You get a warning the first few times. After that, they'll try to force you into their 5GB plan that costs $350 + $.50 cents per MB over. Have fun o.0

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

There is actually.

"We may, at our discretion, suspend your account if we believe your data usage is excessive, unusual or is better suited to another rate plan. If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly MB/GB allowance and additional data usage rates, you agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month; provided that, prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your Service."

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

After too many times, they'll kick you off their network.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

That is so wrong. I hope you were just joking. Read my post above.

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

No joke, read my post above? lol.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have never gotten a warning. There are people on howard forums that are using 60-80GB a month and haven't been shut down yet. It is truly unlimited.

8. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Just stating THEIR Terms of Service. I've read plenty of horror stories with insane overage bills after continuous over-the-limit months. Sometimes for whatever your reason, your account won't sound off bells. They do though, in fact, have a 5GB cap. If you want to head towards the link I posted, it lists the contract rules. Please link me to these 60-80gb people? Lucky guys need to tell me what they're doing.

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

We went through all of this last year on these forums. The iPhone is the only iPhone on AT&Ts system that has it's own TOS. No where in that TOS does it say there is a 5GB limit.

The only phones that has the limit were the ones that had a tethering plan attached and on mobile broadband cards. The iPhone was excluded. Those who still have the unlimited plans are still unlimited.

10. mrbrown macrumors 6502

But their ToS says nothing of the sort in regards to a $350 charge, just that they have the right (IF THEY CHOOSE TO EXERCISE IT) to impose additional charges if you choose not to cancel your service upon notice of your massive data usage.

11. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

The $350 quote was obtained after I called them with the same inquiry.

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I suggest you read it again. That TOS is for non iPhone phones. Read the section that applies only to the iPhone. Search Howard Forums for iPhone data usage.

13. hippo206 macrumors 6502

i believe the phone explodes if you go over 5 GB.

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Makes perfect sense to me. That would explain why it gets really hot when I download a 500MB video podcast on 3G :D:mad::eek:

15. DjPiLL macrumors member

Ok so ATT will ask you for more money a month. You can decline and terminate your contract. I would imagine since ATT wants to change your plan, you can terminate with no ETF.

Then sell your IP4 for major profit and then sign up for a new contract and new subsidized phone. :)

This is why ATT is not going to be terminating anybody.

16. juan370Z thread starter macrumors regular

Lol 60 gigs i's a lot jaja idk how u can do that. I wonder if I use mywi for xbox live how much data I would hog jjaja

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

LOL I'm in the middle of downloading another 500MB podcast. It took me less than 20 minutes to do on 3G. I am going to see just how much data I can possible use this month. I still have two weeks to do and I am at 8GB now.

18. vistadude macrumors 65816

You can't download podcasts greater than 20 mb unless you're on wifi. Better idea is to stream a high bitrate steaming audio.

19. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have 3G Unrestrictor. I can download a whole movie on 3G with this on my phone.

20. juan370Z thread starter macrumors regular

Lol AT&T must hate us jajaja we used bandwidth for no reason I'm going to try and leave vettle on for a whole day just to see how much data I consume

21. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

LOL I could just as easily download these using WiFi but where's the fun in that?

22. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

when i was jailbroke on my 3gs, i used the mywi and connected my xbox live to it....i think the most i ever used in a month was like 6-7 gigs. xbox actually doesn't take up too much bandwidth. I would play for hours(5) and use like 300 mb. not too bad.

23. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

It's a soft cap. Supposedly they rarely contact people and you SHOULD BE fine.

24. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Clearly it's ok. The poster here is citing their situation well above 5GB and never been contacted. I don't know why people keep wanting to debate this issue.