What Happens if You Buy iPad From Target and it Has Backlight Bleeding?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by npro1464, Mar 22, 2011.

1. npro1464 macrumors member

Hey all,

I just came back from Target. I was one of the lucky ones walking out with a black iPad 2 (wifi only). I was wondering what happens if this notorious issue happens with my iPad- what if I get one with a backlight issue or one with yellow tint that doesn't go away? Will they be able to replace it, if so how fast? Will they let me return it if the issue persists? Has anyone else had a backlight issue with an iPad from Target? How was it resolved? Thanks!

2. HankMoody macrumors member

You can return it to Target per their return policy or you can exchange it. I would assume it would be difficult to exchange because they're selling they're selling inventory as soon as they receive it right now. You can always go to an Apple store or call them because you receive the same warranty as people who buy from the Apple store.

3. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

This is my predicament. I scored a black 64gb wifi only to have the backlight issue slowly worsen over the past week and a half. I plan to return it soon and just order one from apple.com (as my Local Targets are out, of course). I've called ahead and was told they would honor the return policy.

4. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Just bring it to apple. Set a genius appt. No need to go back to target.

5. npro1464 thread starter macrumors member

Bingo!

Well I just opened up the box and its there. It doesn't look too bad, however I haven't even gotten a chamce to sync it yet, and idk if I should bother. I guess Ill see what Target will do for me tomorrow or Thurs. If not I guess I could try my luck on craigslist or live with it.

After looking online I've got a couple mixed reports on Target.

6. aeiron macrumors member

I bought mine at target and exchanged it at an apple store after a genius confirmed my backlight problem. Actually had to exchange it twice to get a good one.

7. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

correct me if i'm wrong, once the box is opened, Target will charge 15% restocking fee for returns. at least that was what they told me.

8. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

Ouch.... is that true?!?!

9. RogersDA macrumors 6502

Yes. But talking to a manager and clearly showing the defect may allow them to waive the restocking fee.

10. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

It should be waived of it's secondary to a manufacturing defect.

11. npro1464 thread starter macrumors member

My only concern is are thyere even any ipads without a little bit of backlight bleeding? It seems to be such a big problem that either I am lucky and have one that might not be that bad, or I just are not one of the 5% of people with a good one.