What happens if you mix USB power connectors

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PNutts, Apr 4, 2010.

1. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

With a MacBook and an iPhone I how have a third AC USB power supply. Considering the iPad is 10V instead of 5V what will happen if I mix them up? Best case is iPad won't charge and iPhone won't explode, but does anyone have any practical experience?

2. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

I'm also very interested in this. Will the iPhone charge twice as fast if I used the iPad adapter?

3. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I've seen that this is a "no".

4. voidptr macrumors regular

It's 10W (watts), not 10V. They're both 5V. The iPhone should charge normally, the iPad will charge slower (or possibly not at all with the screen on) if you flip them.

5. PNutts thread starter macrumors 601

PNutts

LOL. I should have known that - USB = 5V. This is the part where my new glasses would have come in handy. I've officially become my mom. Good catch!

6. BiggieJohn macrumors newbie

it's 10 WATTS not VOLTS. if it's got a USB plug on it, it would have to supply only 5 volts otherwise it would fry anything else plugged into it.

7. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

You all understand that devices "draw" power, adapters don't "push" it. Otherwise we'd have 110V flying out of our sockets destroying everything.

8. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

9. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I charged my iPad last night with my iPhone wall charger. When I went to bed it was at 63% battery, when I woke up it was at 100%.