What happens if you mix USB power connectors

PNutts

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
With a MacBook and an iPhone I how have a third AC USB power supply. Considering the iPad is 10V instead of 5V what will happen if I mix them up? Best case is iPad won't charge and iPhone won't explode, but does anyone have any practical experience?

voidptr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007
It's 10W (watts), not 10V. They're both 5V. The iPhone should charge normally, the iPad will charge slower (or possibly not at all with the screen on) if you flip them.

BiggieJohn

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
With a MacBook and an iPhone I how have a third AC USB power supply. Considering the iPad is 10V instead of 5V what will happen if I mix them up? Best case is iPad won't charge and iPhone won't explode, but does anyone have any practical experience?
it's 10 WATTS not VOLTS. if it's got a USB plug on it, it would have to supply only 5 volts otherwise it would fry anything else plugged into it.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
You all understand that devices "draw" power, adapters don't "push" it. Otherwise we'd have 110V flying out of our sockets destroying everything.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I charged my iPad last night with my iPhone wall charger. When I went to bed it was at 63% battery, when I woke up it was at 100%.