What happens if you squeeze rMBP hard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DevAndy, Jul 27, 2014.

1. DevAndy macrumors member

DevAndy

Will it dent? I've heard the aluminum is soft, what happens if someone sits on the laptop?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If someone sits on it, expect damage. Computers aren't designed for that particular application.

3. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

What if you squeeze it with your hands? Does the aluminum dent?

If I palm rest 24/7, with a bit of pressure, will it dent?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Just plainly resting your hands on it to type, it will be fine. Why do you ask?

5. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

May be an awkward question, but I often feel insecure with carrying my MacBook in my bag. Sometimes I'm afraid that it'll dent, even with a speck case.

Also, I heard that aluminum was soft. I was wondering if it was like plastic, where if you apply pressure it "dents" and messes up the insides -- kind of like a plastic bin.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You'd have to put significant pressure on it or have a heavy impact in a bag before you'll damage it. It's not something you really need to worry about.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It takes a lot to make a dent that could cause internal damage. The topcase made out of a single piece of aluminum and the bottom case is also a single piece of aluminum, so it is much stronger than the 2006-2008 era MBP.

8. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

What about the lid? Won't the internals (the screen) be damaged easily as there isn't much space? Also off topic: can you replace the late 2013 loose hindge? What about the trackpad?

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you're just holding the computer you aren't going to dent it. If you're trying to crush it you may do some damage.

The hinge and trackpad can be replaced. If you're having issues with your late 2013 model rMBP, take it in to Apple, you still have warranty.

10. Erphern macrumors 6502

You never go ass to Mac.

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

My son, who weighs about 45-50lbs, stood on my mother in laws 15" rMBP and it didn't do anything at all to it.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Was this for testing purposes?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you sit on a laptop, chances are you will damage it.

I try not to squeeze so hard that I have to worry about denting it.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

What happens if you squeeze rMBP hard?

You get Apple juice :D

Sorry. :eek:

15. meson macrumors regular

I've carried my Apple laptops for years in my bag, and with fairly heavy loads of text books for a good many years. The laptop was always between my back and the books. Both my 12" PowerBook and 13" white MacBook had screen damage in the form of marks being worn in the display coating by the keyboard and trackpad. It looks awful when the display is off, but caused me no particular inconveniences while working.

Yes, some damage may occur in this scenario, but unless you are adamant about reselling the machine in the future, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've debated buying an antiglare screen protector for my current machine because of this, but haven't felt the need to. I tend to use my machines until they are no longer functional without relatively costly repairs.

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've been using a Swiss laptop backpack for about 8 years now and it's been great. Always protects the laptop from damage and is high quality. It still looks as good today as it was new and I use it a lot.

17. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

its a laptop, not a delicate flower for god's sake. its a tool to be used, not something you look at behind a plexiglass. some people just get way too carried away here.

18. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

The only part where I'd think you could realistically do damage is the bottom as the panel there is pretty thin. As for the rest of the computer you're probably have to be like this guy to do any real damage.

My personal experiences:
    Dropped my 2010 Macbook Pro off a table - Got a small dent on the side but otherwise it's still working flawlessly 3 years later

Fell flat on my back with my 2007 Macbook Pro in a backpack when slipping on ice - Not even a scrach