What happens if you try to use time machine on 2 different machines?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thechidz, May 1, 2008.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Ok, so I have a macbook and a macbook pro, both with leopard, and I would like to sort of "mirror" them with each other by using my Time machine hard drive on both.. Is this possible?

2. decal macrumors member

decal

I am pretty it's not possible. Even after doing a back-up from time machine after a HD failure time machine had to do a fresh back-up even though it still had the past back-ups.
    And I could not go back past the 1st image of the new HD even though I could see the previous images.
    So to use 2 computers off the same TM would not be possible. You will need to use something like Sync Professional or similar to keep both machines in Sync.

3. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

that would actually be fine as long as when I went back to my mbp I could still go into the past in time machine... do you know what I mean?

4. decal macrumors member

decal

Not really? Do you mean after using TM on the MacBook? Then no I do not think that would work. The back-up is only accessible from the computer that made the back-up. To keep both computers in sync you would need a third party program.
    You can use the same HD with a partition to keep the 2 separate TM back-ups but neither would be able to use the other one.

As I mentioned above you would need a program like Sync (http://www.decimus.net/index.php) to keep the 2 machines mirrored.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not possible in the way that you wanna do it.

if you use time machine on the same drive time machine will automatically create two different "saved states" or each machine and give that "saved state" an identifier.

even if you wanted to you couldnt, probably an easier way would be to clone the drives or something. could probably think of something if i tried.

DoFoT9

6. cssmith macrumors newbie

Try Foldershare....

An easy way to mirror between 2 machines is to use foldershare. I mirror directories between our machines in our house (www.foldershare.com), as well as directories between family members. It keeps them completely sync'd (provided the PCs/MACs are on).

Best of all it is free!!!!

7. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

yes i found this out the hard way lst time I changed mbp... I just used migration assistant this time and worked swell...