What happens on your 2010 MBP when you drain battery completely?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, May 18, 2010.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

With mine, when I drain it completely, it just shuts down, i.e. it doesnt go to sleep mode as there is no pulsating light on the front right corner. Once I start charging, however, and I can again switch it on, it resumes where I left off, so the computer has saved the contents of the memory onto the hard disk. On my SR MBP it was different, it would actually go to sleep mode when the batteries were almost completely drained.

2. matttung macrumors member

Exactly same as yours - Mid 2010 15" MBP ..

Although my old (mid 2007) MB does sleep when battery is low :eek:

But I guess that's a good thing, (esp. if you're using an SSD), as you get more battery life and can still start off from where you left off :apple:

3. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

It says "whyyyy master....whyyyyyyyyyy" in a robotic beep that decreases in pitch.

4. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, very constructive, thank you.

5. oyebto macrumors regular

at first i tot my battery is faulty as my old late 2007 macbook usually sleeps for a few hours before all lights go off.

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Hm, thought mine was the only one.

7. blackwind macrumors regular

The same here i7 about 4days old.
    When i first got it i did drain it to shut down. Where my niece's 2009 13" dc2 going to sleep mode(snooze: as u can see the sleep light snoozing/blinking)

i thought it could be something wrong also 96%something capacity. Now after afew calibration its better 100% and last 6-7hrs.
    Still shutdown when it low. Oh another thing i just disable the safe sleep so it sleep faster when i close the lid. (again my niece 2009 mbp lid closes the snooz light on where mine take 20sec)

i am happy for now

8. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

9. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Isnt deep sleep the equivalent of saving to the hard drive and then shutting down?

10. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

It is.

11. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I guess what I am curious about is if there is anyone out there with a 2010 MBP that goes to sleep (with pulsating light) instead of shutting down when batteries are drained?

12. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

Well I think mine did that. Then I woke it up and it just shut off on me since the battery was really low. But I can't remember ;)

I guess it might do it and if it then completely dies because of the battery is not enough for sleep anymore, nothing much happens. Just the pulsating light will go off and once you plug in it will reload the RAM contents from disk and you haven't lost anything.

Not sure this answers your question, though.

13. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

The only time my battery is completely depleted is when I leave it in sleep mode for a couple days at a time and the battery slowly drains to nothing. When I open it up and plug it in, the screen picture is faded in the background and a scroll screen is displayed in front of it that slowly moves from left to right. When the bar reaches 100% I have full control right where I left off before.

14. xaquaticx macrumors regular

It does the same thing for me, only deep sleep (complete shutdown). And in fact sometimes it doesn't save the RAM to disk! It shuts down without saving. Fortunately the few times I saw this I had no work in progress but if i did that would've seriously pissed me off.

Kind of annoying. Another thing I hope 10.6.4 fixes. These 2010 MBPs have a lot of problems. They must have seriously skimped on QA and yet they had all this time.

15. Rockstar7 macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to mine, I ran the battery all the way down until it got to 0% and shut off. It didn't appear to be in sleep mode since there was no pulsing light, and after I recharged it went though the full boot-up process. I was concerned at first since all of the instructions state that it will go to sleep once the battery drains, however if this is common for the new 2010 15's I guess I shouldn't be...

16. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I wonder if this has been changed due to the non user replaceable drive? On my old Mac if I let it go to sleep due to a low battery and left it like that and let's say went home for the day (from work) and then plugged it in and tried to get it going it wouldn't wake back up. Even if I left it plugged in. It's like it was in some sort of limbo. I'd have to to unplug it AND take out the battery and hit the power button to clear any residual power. Then put the battery back in and turn it on to recover. Obviously with the new machines you can't take out the battery. I wonder if they changed this behavior because of this?

17. stevespa macrumors member

Mine does the same thing (deep sleep). I'd like to find a way to have it go to "snooze" sleep (light still flashing, equivalent to closing the lid).

18. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light...

Sorry, I'm bored and don't have my macbook yet.

19. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

my mbp blows smoke when it runs out of battery. much like a fire extinguisher...

20. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

So is the deep sleep a feature of the 2010 MBP? Does anyone with a 2010 MBP actually have the their laptop go to normal sleep when their batteries run out?

21. hypermog macrumors regular

22. Flibber macrumors newbie

My mac dies.

i have the mac book pro mid 15" i5, and just yesterday while i was playing starcraft on it, it ran out of batteries. At first i had no idea of what was going on because the screen turned black without warning and none of the functions on my mbp worked. i tried recharging the mbp immediately however, this only seemed to prolonged the said effects. I also tried closing the lid and opening several times, and i noted the the white light thats suppose to pulsate when closed did not pulsate. it stayed on. however when open the light would disappear. This temporarily made me lose Apple's trust in quality, however when i power cycled the machine it seemed to run smoothly as if nothing happened. I was hoping if any one could tell me what happened or if theyve had a similar experience. thanks.

23. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

My battery's health takes a huge plunge.... 99% --> 95%

Never doing it again.