What happens to an iPhone after the contract has ended?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk8mash, Jun 12, 2008.

1. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I cant find this question answered, so once your 18/24 month contract is up, does the iPhone return to its un-activated state? Surely you would have paid through your teeth for the iPhone by that point! SO would it become permanently activated? Or unlocked? Or what? Hmmm...

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

NO, you would keep paying for the monthly service without a contract attached to it until you A. decide to call AT&T and cancel the service completely or B. decide to port your number over to a another carrier.

3. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

So you would pay the same contract rate month by month? Surely they cant re-lock a device you've payed for?

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I canned my service, and my iphone didn't lock up. Can't make calls or use the interwebs with it, but it still plays music and movies just fine.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Stays active, and you continue with your same plan if you like.

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

That sounds like a smart move! Paid for an iPhone and use it as a Touch.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

At the stroke of midnight as your contract runs out, back away quickly, as the iPhone will immediately self-destruct.

That statement doesn't make any sense. You'd continue to pay what your contract said unless you opt-out of your contract, which you are free to do without penalties at the end of the designated time. A cell phone contract is essentially a declining opt-out fee. If you hold your contract until the end, you are free to opt out penalty free unless you make material changes, such as getting a new phone on subsidy or changing your voice and data plans. Your monthly rate (at least in the US) is not determined by the length of your contract, so yes, your prices would remain the same.

No one can re-lock anything based on contracts, so I am not sure if that answered your question or if you are still confused.

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Smarter than paying every month for service you don't need.

9. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

What if you have to restore the phone or install an update? When the phone is restored in iTunes it has to be reactivated, so I assume you would be screwed there.