Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
On a serious note, what do you guys think will happen to Apple's reputation if a new iPad is released without a retina display? So far they haven't announced one thing about it, but the hype is starting to get ridiculous.

Last year, some people also claimed the iPad 2 would go retina (i.e. iPad HD), and it didn't happen.

I am pretty much 90% sure it will happen, but if you'd ask me the same thing about the newest iPhone, I was pretty sure we'd see a redesign as was claimed by numerous rumors sites around the web, incl. MacRumors.

Most times, the lofty expectations were not met. I am not saying they have to meet every single expectation, but this one is a buggy.

Do you think Apple as a company could withstand the outcry if it ships the iPad 3 with the current resolution, maybe bumping the speed again and only adding Siri & LTE?

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Apple will spontaneously combust from the shockwave of sheer disappointment from rumour-crazed fans everywhere. I kid you not, should Apple fail to release a retina iPad, reputation is the least of their worries - they should be more worried about their oxidation states.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
They will still sell a s***load of iPads because most of the complaining will be from the very small percentage of the population who are on sites like MacRumors.

vixducis

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Belgium
There will be little to no consequences. Look at what happened with the iPhone 4S, they disappointed a lot of people with it, still it's their best selling phone ever. Yes, people are still bitchin' about it, but Apple is still a company and their main objective is to earn money, in which they succeed.

Personally, I will be filled with anger and write numerous hatemails to whoever is responsible.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
On a serious note, what do you guys think will happen to Apple's reputation if a new iPad is released without a retina display? So far they haven't announced one thing about it, but the hype is starting to get ridiculous.

Last year, some people also claimed the iPad 2 would go retina (i.e. iPad HD), and it didn't happen.

I am pretty much 90% sure it will happen, but if you'd ask me the same thing about the newest iPhone, I was pretty sure we'd see a redesign as was claimed by numerous rumors sites around the web, incl. MacRumors.

Most times, the lofty expectations were not met. I am not saying they have to meet every single expectation, but this one is a buggy.

Do you think Apple as a company could withstand the outcry if it ships the iPad 3 with the current resolution, maybe bumping the speed again and only adding Siri & LTE?

What will happen? The same thing that happened when the much anticipated iPhone 5 failed to show up. Apple sold a gazillion 4S units and life just moved on!:eek:

What do you think will happen? Do you think they will go out of business or what?:p

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
As noted already, most iPad buyers probably have no idea what a retina display is.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
What will happen? The same thing that happened when the much anticipated iPhone 5 failed to show up. Apple sold a gazillion 4S units and life just moved on!:eek:

What do you think will happen? Do you think they will go out of business or what?:p

Naahh, of course not. I am just wondering how much negative feedback even Apple can withstand before things start getting sour. Look at Google, for years they were regarded as some of the good guys, nothing could go wrong, they were releasing or improving terrific products at a high rate (Gmail, Google Docs, Reader, Picasa, YouTube, etc.). But now they start releasing more and more questionable products (Wave, Google+, Nexus, Android, etc.) and people worry that they might be getting too much power, security reasons come up more often than not, so it seems the company is on a decline in consumer perceptions.

I am just worrying that lofty and always rising expectations will shed a negative light on Apple if they don't keep up. Right now, I am at a point where I seriously expect Star Trek like capability from my phone in let's say 3 years, as well as a full featured holo deck in 5-7 years. Everything else and I will be disappointed... LOL, I guess the problem is not Apple, but the consumers who ALWAYS expect more and more while what they have is already so terrific, it's unbelievable.

Seriously, if you told me in 2005 what kind of phone I'd be using right now, what kind of tablet would sit on my couch, and how small, fast and silent my current laptop (MacBook Air) would be, I'd be laughing so hard in disbelief it's wouldn't even be funny.

And now I sit here surrounded by futuristic products I wouldn't have even dreamed of a few years ago, and I still expect more & better... Weird world we live in.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
1. They're not likely to call it retina
2. Consumers will still buy millions

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple is better than the best politician, they can spin anything to their advantage. That trend started by SJ is deeply embedded in all they do. They've got everyone under their spell :)

This is the only place people that are true tech enthusiasts are called " Spec Whores" if they dare mention specifics of what they'd like to see in upcoming models.

The tired old response "it's about the experience" is the excuse Apple hides behind. Simply hillarious & amazing people actually believe this lame excuse.

It's true that Apple makes very fine products, but far from perfect, the "Apple can do no wrong" attitude is lunacy.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
---
"Public Outcry"? "Ridiculous Hype"? I feel your perspective is way too overly dramatic and a bit skewed because the world isn't waiting for a retina iPad, its mainly just us.

Retina display originally came to the iPhone as a surprise and while WE (as tech geeks) may notice the incredible difference, most consumers can only describe the difference between the 3G and 4 screen to be "brighter" and have no idea why the clarity is actually improved because they don't understand or care about things like pixel density.

So on the iPad then all this "hype" is mainly generated by Apple enthusiasts like us. And while a retina display seems obvious, most true Apple-news followers have enough experience with hype/reality that ANYTHING missing can be shrugged off.

Sales of the iPad 2 have remained fairly consistant even up to now so the reality is that Apple could release NOTHING but a 2S that improves speed and it would still be a success. So any of your fear of outcry, people jumping ship or anger is silly. The iPad 2 is still good enough to exist in todays market so this products upgrade path can only get better and cheaper.

Last edited:

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
"Public Outcry"? "Ridiculous Hype"? I feel your perspective is way too overly dramatic and a bit skewed because the world isn't waiting for a retina iPad, its mainly just us.

Retina display originally came to the iPhone as a surprise and while WE (as tech geeks) may notice the incredible difference, most consumers can only describe the difference between the 3G and 4 screen to be "brighter" and have no idea why the clarity is actually improved because they don't understand or care about things like pixel density.

So on the iPad then all this "hype" is mainly generated by Apple enthusiasts like us. And while a retina display seems obvious, most true Apple-news followers have enough experience with hype/reality that ANYTHING missing can be shrugged off.

Sales of the iPad 2 have remained fairly consistant even up to now so the reality is that Apple could release NOTHING but a 2S that improves speed and it would still be a success. So any of your fear of outcry, people jumping ship or anger is silly. The iPad 2 is still good enough to exist in todays market so this products upgrade path can only get better and cheaper.

Thanks, you make terrific points. It's clearer to me now... Me and a subset of my friends talk about this stuff almost daily, so for us this stuff seems important, for everyone else not so much as you said.

I hooked my parents up with an iPad for eMail, they still use the first one and they love it. They don't even want to upgrade because the old one works so well. I bought my girlfriend a new iPhone 4s 32GB for Christmas, and so far she's put like 3 song albums on there and she doesn't want to download more than a couple apps so the iPhone "doesn't get too full". Also, I am pretty much certain she doesn't even realize what a retina display is or why it's important. All she cares is that she can browse the web, she cannot believe it as she is coming straight off an 7 year old Sony Ericsson that was "best phone" she ever had and did not want to upgrade...

LOL, geeks will be geeks. I love it.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
the display is extremely important, because it is quite literally everything: input and output all goes through it. i think it would be a big mistake to keep the same pixel density, but if they didn't improve it, i'd still buy it.

when an android comes out with a better display, though, i might decide to satisfy my curiosity. apple will do fine for a while next year if they don't rais the bar, but if they fail to keep innovating, then i think the "loyalty" of consumers will be tested severely.

anyhow, don't expect our whining to affect them much :)

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
...The tired old response "it's about the experience" is the excuse Apple hides behind. Simply hillarious & amazing people actually believe this lame excuse.

It's true that Apple makes very fine products, but far from perfect, the "Apple can do no wrong" attitude is lunacy.

I think these two thoughts are not inextricably linked. I truly believe that Apple is focused on the experience, but I also believe Apple does NOT make perfect products. They can do wrong, like all people they make mistakes.

I think by linking these two concepts together, it is a disservice to the idea of focusing on experience.

BillG53

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2012
Everybody seems to think Apple will keep selling iPads. That may be but they won't sell one to me. I have been holding out for the new display, even returning an unopened iPad 2 at Christmas. It's retina or nothing for me.

The opposite question is what will happen to Apple if they DO release the new iPad with the better display. They may have more than a few customers with Christmas iPads that might feel short changed. On the other hand some of those may sell the old and buy the new so Apple "double dips" in their wallets. Oh well for them.... maybe they should have been on MacRumors before they bought.

I guess I agree with the other comments... no matter what Apple will just keep selling iPads whether they are 2's or 3's.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I think these two thoughts are not inextricably linked.
I do not disagree, simply mentioned them in the same post.

I truly believe that Apple is focused on the experience, but I also believe Apple does NOT make perfect products. They can do wrong, like all people they make mistakes.
Once again, I don't disagree that they are focused on the experience. I also agree, and do not expect them to be perfect. What I do expect is quality control to be carried out before shipping a product. Especially a premium top of the line product like Apple computers.

Allow me to share "my experience" of the last two weeks.

I'm on my FOURTH new MBA because the first THREE were clearly defective.

The first one was DOA out of the box. OK, this happens I understand. So I take it back to the Apple store and they cheerfully replace it.

MBA number two goes home with me only to have three days of use before it goes completely dead. Will not reboot, no matter what the tech support people request I do. So it's another trip back to the Apple store.

MBA number three comes out of the box missing three key caps off the keyboard.

Thankfully, this time I opened it in the store for all to see. Frankly that is something I wouldn't believe if not for seeing it myself. So they give me another (Number Four).

This time, I finally get one that is whole, no significant damage, and boots to the desktop so it can be used. I purposely spend over 30 minutes using it in the store just to be sure it's going to hold up initially. While I certainly realize this is an unusual experience, it's a bit too much for a product line as well designed as Apple's are.

So forgive me if I'm a bit frustrated about the "Apple Experience" :)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
99% of people won't notice or care. Most people don't even know there's a new one coming out soon and would be perfectly willing to walk into an Apple store right now and buy an iPad 2. I have 4 friends/coworkers who bought their wives iPad 2's for Christmas.

People who read sites like this know that 9 months into an Apple product's lifespan is not a good time to buy it. People who don't read sites like this (99% of buyers) never even hear about the new product until they go into the store and buy one.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
On a serious note, what do you guys think will happen to Apple's reputation if a new iPad is released without a retina display?

They sell a bajillion anyway because the average consumer has no idea what a retina display is.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
No point in making an off remark this late in the game, so all seriousness…

Nothing. They will sell a ton of the new iPads

As stated before the screen from 3GS to 4 was noticeable. I am a designer and had to have the better screen. My wife didn't care and went with the 3GS. I know she can tell the difference but ultimately doesn't care. In fact, had the iP4 not had the Retina screen I would have been fine with the 3GS screen.

I can see the pixels on my computer monitors if I look but if I am working I don't see the pixels. If I am not inches from the screen I cannot see the pixels enough to bother me.

Likewise, with the iPad 2 I can see them but overall I don't mind them. In fact, I can read just fine on the iPad 2. Lots of people say it is a pain to read since it isn't retina, but maybe I don't hold it as close. I read magazines, books, surf, edit photos and think the iPad screen is fine.

Once you have High-speed internet it is hard to go back to what was fine before. Once you have DVR it is hard to go back to when you didn't. Same goes for here but it is more a squabble from the "geeks". A co-worker was saying he liked his sprint phone better than the iP4S because it was 4G…though 2 years ago the iPhone was great on speed…until you saw greener grass.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Fair enough, I had a similar experience with my black Macbook and went through 4 replacements before becoming fed up and upgrading to a Macbook Pro.

I do not disagree, simply mentioned them in the same post.

Once again, I don't disagree that they are focused on the experience. I also agree, and do not expect them to be perfect. What I do expect is quality control to be carried out before shipping a product. Especially a premium top of the line product like Apple computers.

Allow me to share "my experience" of the last two weeks.

I'm on my FOURTH new MBA because the first THREE were clearly defective.

The first one was DOA out of the box. OK, this happens I understand. So I take it back to the Apple store and they cheerfully replace it.

MBA number two goes home with me only to have three days of use before it goes completely dead. Will not reboot, no matter what the tech support people request I do. So it's another trip back to the Apple store.

MBA number three comes out of the box missing three key caps off the keyboard.

Thankfully, this time I opened it in the store for all to see. Frankly that is something I wouldn't believe if not for seeing it myself. So they give me another (Number Four).

This time, I finally get one that is whole, no significant damage, and boots to the desktop so it can be used. I purposely spend over 30 minutes using it in the store just to be sure it's going to hold up initially. While I certainly realize this is an unusual experience, it's a bit too much for a product line as well designed as Apple's are.

So forgive me if I'm a bit frustrated about the "Apple Experience" :)

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Thanks, you make terrific points. It's clearer to me now... Me and a subset of my friends talk about this stuff almost daily, so for us this stuff seems important, for everyone else not so much as you said.
People on the forum are the same as your friends. We all "want" a retina display but not many of us can legitimately make arguments for "needing" it yet because we have yet to see the software that will utilize the extra speed and pixel density.

Personally, my hope is that the iPad 2 remains as the standard because thats all most people need and the iPad Pro is the one that has the increased specs so we can get things like Aperture, FCP or more apps that utilize a stylus (photoshop, handwritten notes that can be normal sized letters etc). My wife would be fine with an iPad 2 and I'd gladly pay extra for an iPad HD (but dont tell Apple).

Iceage

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
99% of people won't notice or care. Most people don't even know there's a new one coming out soon and would be perfectly willing to walk into an Apple store right now and buy an iPad 2. I have 4 friends/coworkers who bought their wives iPad 2's for Christmas.

People who read sites like this know that 9 months into an Apple product's lifespan is not a good time to buy it. People who don't read sites like this (99% of buyers) never even hear about the new product until they go into the store and buy one.

Exactly. Lazy year I was in an Apple store while the iPad 2 was being introduced. People were buying the original iPad while the details about the iPad 2 were being made available on he Internet ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.