What happens to Apps after deauthorize computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mikepro, Oct 1, 2010.

1. mikepro macrumors 6502

Can someone please tell me if this will work OK? I've searched, but still don't have a clear picture of what happens when you deauthorize a computer or use multiple iTunes accounts. Here's what I'm trying to do:

I want to give my niece an iPod touch for Christmas. I currently have 3 authorized computers on my iTunes account, so 2 left. I would like to be able to share with her some of the apps and games I have purchased.

When visiting them for Christmas, I was planning to go to her computer and Authorize it with my account, and then do Transfer Purchases from my iPhone to her computer (Or copy them from my laptop with home sharing). But, I don't want to leave her computer setup with my iTunes account, I want any future purchases she makes to be on her own account. So, after she syncs her new touch to her computer, I was going to deauthorize her computer from my account.

Will the apps I gave her still work on her touch? Will she still need my account and password for any reason? If this won't work, is there a way accomplish what I'm trying to do? I would think I should be able to share my apps with her, since I have less than 5 computers authorized.

I appreciate any help, since I can't experiment with this until Christmas day, and don't want to spend all day trying to figure it out.

2. mikepro thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody? Really? Surely someone must have done this, or had experience managing content with multiple iTunes accounts!

3. B.winkle macrumors member

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

authorizing a computer is only for playing DRM content i believe. you can transfer the apps to her computer without your itunes account. however, if she needs to update any of the apps she would need your account info and password to do so.

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

This is a nightmare waiting to happen. Not so much from the standpoint of having a computer authorised/deauthorised, but trying to manage an iPhone/iPad/iPod with Apps sourced from multiple accounts is a rotten experience, and one Apple really needs to refine. The constant logging in and out of different accounts is very irritating.

And, yes, she will need your username and password to be able to update those Apps.

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Sounds like a bad idea to me. I plan on giving two iPod Touches but they are on their own as far as what apps they get for them. :)

7. mikepro thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh.. ok, exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Sounds like it's kind of a "bag of hurt" trying to have multiple iTunes accounts on one device. I think I'll just include like a $10 gift card and let her buy whatever games and apps she wants.