What happens to data on computers returned to Apple?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sean Dempsey, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I had a new 5k iMac with SSD go bad. The EFI worked but it could not be restored or accessed in any way by the Apple store genius bar. Effectively, it was bricked.

I got a refund so I could get a replacement. So I left them the computer. But, I am wondering what happens to my data. It wasn't accessible through the computer, but the SSD card (it's not a 2.5" drive, it's the memory chip card thing) may or may not have been recoverable.

Does anyone have actual real knowledge of what happens to these computers? Presumably the logic board might have major problems, as it can't be booted to an external or a network drive.

What happens to the drive? It was not FileVault encrypted, and I know that any home folder can be rooted. I presume that Apple has strict policies about user's data, but does anyone actually know if the SSD will be wiped or destroyed? Is there a chain of custody, or can any employee just walk out with it?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well Apple will erase the drive, but there may be nosey technicians who could have poked around the drive before erasing it. I know it's water over the bridge at this point, but its always safe to erase the data before sending it into apple.

4. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

My problem was that I had no real way to do that at the time. The drive was the SSD card in the 5k, not bootable, and not accessible. So since the genius bar declared the computer bricked, I would have had to take it home, remove the drive somehow, find a sled for those SSD cards (it's not a 2.5" drive), then figure out how to access it and erase it, reassemble it, then return it. I didn't consider all this at the time.

Granted, maybe I should have. I wasn't expecting to be giving up the computer on the spot. I can probably go back in and request they wipe it right now in front of me?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That bites, yeah I guess when there's a situation that the computer is non-functioning, there's little you can do.

I'm sure they just wiped the SSD, but if there's nothing you could have done, then don't sweat it.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The first thing that I do on a new Mac is turn on FileVault 2. My identity is too important to me to take the chance of someone gaining access to it in such a situation.

/Jim

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, even on iMacs, its important to encrypt your data. Don't forget to encrypt your time machine backups as well, since they have a copy of your data.

8. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

And the burring question is "why"... people need to get a life. :D

9. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

A) they wouldn't do that as it would mean opening the computer
    B) if you left it at a store it's long gone now