What happens to iPhone OS next year? Original iPhone owners please read.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Sep 8, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So, next year when the original iPhone is exactly 2 years old, do you think Apple will continue letting original iPhone owners upgrade to the newest firmware or do you think they'll cut us off and force us to buy a new phone to get the new software.

The reason I ask is because:

1. I JUST got an original iPhone
    2. The iPhone 3G didn't change hardware-wise (other than 3G and GPS)

The new iPhone 3G's hardware is identical (RAM, CPU, Graphics) as the original iPhone so doesn't it make sense that Apple will support software on the original iPhone for as long as they support the 3G iPhone?

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think it will still be free - i mean they still somewhat support PPC chips in the computers with new versions of OS X (for now)

3. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

I would say 2 years from the day Apple/Carriers ran out of iPhone 2G stock.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

My iBook from 2003 is upgraded to 10.4.11. Apple isn't cutting us off; end of story.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes i still think we ve got two more years with upgrades or so, but i don t expect my pone to last that long tho...

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I don't see any reason why they would alienate first generation iPhone, thus there is no reason to worry...unless the hardware itself becomes obsolete for any future upgrade.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The hardware on the 3G is quite different from the iPhone EDGE. The circuit board on the EDGE was about the size of two thumbs, the 3G is the size of half a hand. The price paid for the iPhone EDGE is amorized over 2 years, that is why software upgrades are free, but aren't for the iPod touch users. I would suspect that if you are still on at&t you will get free upgrades, but otherwise you will have to pay a fee like the iPod touch users do.

TEG

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I didn't say anything about money. I'm just wondering how long Apple will let us keep upgrading the software on the original iPhone. I don't care if the hardware is different on the iPhone 3G... my main point was, the speed of the processor is the same and the amount of memory is the same... so technically any software that can run on the iPhone 3G can ALSO run on the iPhone 2G. UNLESS the software SPECIFICALLY requires 3G network or GPS.

10. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I would guess that you'd be fine for software updates for several years. But then I think of Apple's history with iPod software updates (I mean the iPod 1G up to 5G/Video products). It seemed that a new revision of the iPod was announced every year, and they very quickly stopped software updates to the older revisions. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, but the iPod's hardware is always changing. Plus, they still release bug fixes for old Firmware... there was an iPod 5th Gen Firmware update a few months ago. The regular iPods don't run an advanced operating system with applications. Once the software works nice, it pretty much stays that way on the old iPods. I think the iPhone is a very different animal... much less than an iPod and more like a computer where updates will continue for years as long as the hardware can run it.

12. iVoid macrumors 65816

I don't think you can directly compare iPod updates with iPhone/iPod Touch updates.

iPhone updates may be needed to run all current App store apps. If older devices can't run current apps, App Store profits will go down.

Plus there's not a lot of differences in the hardware of the 3G and 1st gen iPhone, so even more of a reason 1st Gen users won't get the shaft on updates.

Now if they introduce a new version with mega new features they might decide to charge for it (since they are no longer getting monthly kickbacks),but I think it's in their interests to keep more people up to date for App Store sales than to nickle and dime people for updates.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then you're just not going to get that answer here. The only ones who know for sure are the development team working on it at Apple.

Because the iPhone is a whole new line of product, there's new dynamics here, and no real basis that we can reference. When they decide that the existing hardware has become legacy and can no longer be supported, then they won't support it.

The only known guarantee is that you can get some sort of support on your hardware for up to two years. At that point, it's assumed your contract is up and you can get something else. That's it.

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I think they'll remain free until they change the hardware spec so new versions of the OS won't run anymore due to lack of RAM etc - ie at least two years after the release of the 3G.

Phazer

15. sibruk macrumors 6502a

(+ iTunes WiFi store)

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Of course updates will be available for the foreseeable future. There's huge ongoing profits to be made in this new model. And Apple would be stupid to stop people from being able to spend money with them by not releasing software updates.

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Perhaps you are the one that needs to read...

Apple will continue to allow you to upgrade until they create a new phone that uses a different processor, and after the two years, you will likely have to pay for upgrades. The iPhone EDGE and 3G will be treated as the same setup (like the iPod photo and iPod 4G or iPod 1G and 2G) then the next version will allow for more functionality and a faster processor with apps and updates only for it.

TEG

17. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I think they will cut it off when the latest software becomes stronger than the current hardware.

18. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Apple will continue to support the 1st gen iPhone as long as they have an iPhone of the same basic specs.

YES, the new iPhone has a new chipset, yatta yatta yatta, but it is EXACTLY THE SAME PLATFORM, same touchscreen interface technology, same processor family, same graphics family, same core operating features.

Now in an indefinate time down the track when the iPhone actually receives some sort of major overhaul – probably with some sort of technology we would not even contemplate right now – then they will cease support for our old gems.

Look at Apple II etc vs Mac. Yes, just a progression of the computer line-up, but Mac was a big change so many ways, giving Apple a logical reason to really stop caring about people who still used the former machines.

Doobs :)

19. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

They will be loyal to the ones who were loyal to them, I hope.....