What happens to manually installed apps when upgrading firmware on jailbroken iphones

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by po1ochon, Jul 1, 2010.

1. po1ochon macrumors newbie

I have read many tutorials on how to upgrade my 3.1.2 firmware to the new iOS4 for my already jailbroken 3GS iphone (old bootrom, Blackra1n jailbreak).
    All of them explain how to backup the list of apps installed from Cydia (using APTBackup in example) so you can recover them easily after the firmware upgrade. :cool:
    But none explains what happens to the other apps (such as games) that have been installed manually from downloaded IPAs, as well as the files that are created by those apps for customization or saves. :confused:

I am a big tester and my iphone carries more than 100 manually installed apps. :D Therefore I am considering not to upgrade my firmware if that means I have to install all of them again manually. :mad:

Can anybody tell me what happens to those (hacked) apps when upgrading to a new firmware ?
    If the firmware upgrade involves the re-installation of all my apps, what would be the easiest way to do it, so I don't spend a full night or weekend on the process ? :eek:

FYI, I use WinSCP to transfer IPAs from my PC to the 3GS, and then Installous for setup.

Thanks for your help.

2. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

don't download pirated apps and you wouldnt have to worry about it.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

the reason everybody is ignoring you are asking about cracked or Pirated apps we don't discuss that on this forum against the rules. and if you keep asking you can get banned along with anybody that answers.

oh and stop saying you are a tester that's just a big fail!!!!!!

4. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

5. po1ochon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer iMrNiceGuy0023. :)

As for the other "good guys", I'm sure that you jailbreak your iphones/ipods for research or artistic purpose only... :rolleyes: well even so, keep in mind that the different jailbreaking methods are based on unauthorized modification of the OS boot loader, which is a copyright infringement :apple:.
    Therefore expressing yourself about jailbreaking in a forum named "iphone hacks" is no better than my post. And banning my kind of question without considering the technical point of interest is just hyprocritical. :cool:

6. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

No official jailbreak team is reproducing and distributing apple code, and there are no laws preventing you from modifying your own device.
    Therefore you have no point.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yea, but we are not "stealing" anyone's work product!

8. po1ochon thread starter macrumors newbie

pixelated : I never said you can't modify your own device (hardware wise), I say that jailbreaking implies Apple's code modifications, and that's where you do break the law by modifying the OS. The OS is not yours to change or modify, you just buy a licence to use it in accordance with Apple's rules.

dhlizard : I really do test apps and buy the few ones that are worth it. I got screwed too many times by apps developpers who stole me by advertising apps that end up to be full of bugs or don't have the alleged functionalities.
    The apple store has become a peep show where you have to pay to watch and try. That's why I have a jailbroken iphone with manually installed apps.

9. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

You are absolutely clueless. There is no law to stop you from modifying the OS. An infringement of copy-write would be to distribute a custom FW...not distributing the tools, or the process itself, to modify your OS.

And in respect to using pirated apps...why argue about them?!?

10. po1ochon thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't argue about them, I just replied to the other post.

Ok, copyright infringement may be difficult to carry because there is no distribution involved, but it is at least a violation of software licensing.
    If you read Apple's license conditions more carefully, there is a part about reverse engineering, the one that says you must not mess with their software...

11. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

On the iPhone Software Licence that part is in reference to google maps...
    and of course Jail breaking violates your licence agreement (probably more specifically the use of unofficial 3rd party apps), but it isn't against the law.
    Unlike stealing.

12. po1ochon thread starter macrumors newbie

I wonder which legal system you're refering to, because it appears that violating a license agreement is legal to you... unless I misunderstood your "isn't against the law" sentence?

Speaking likewise, I don't steal, I borrow for testing. :p

13. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

If you break apples licensing agreement, they can stop licensing it to you.
    If you steal, the police can arrest you and send you to prison.
    See the difference there?

14. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

I think an important topic that OP brought up and should be discussed more is the lack of refunds in the app store.

I too have bought a bogus app and had zero options available to me for a refund. Granted it was only $1.99, but the fact is that there should be a model similar to what the android store does, where you have 24hrs after you buy an app to return it for a full refund, you can only do it once per app, and it's as easy as clicking one button. I called apple, spoke to a few people, and got nowhere.

What do you guys think about the availability of "lite" and free versions of apps, and how they are only available for certain apps. What are you supposed to do if you DL an app that is different from how it was advertised?

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

So I go to wallmart buy a cd or DVD a video game and it sucks. Then can you get your money back. Just saying there are lots of situations like this. Besides I highly doubt op or others buy and delete every single program they test. I will admit to this in a few cases. For the most part it's only 99 cents or $2 bucks. Wow big deal now $60 for xbox game that sucks

16. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

But with the rise of digital distribution, I think a new system needs to be implemented to address returns. The fact that you are simply left out in the cold if you DL an app that doesn't do what it says is a little bit unsettling.

17. po1ochon thread starter macrumors newbie

pixelated : I see your difference now... I don't have a law degree but I think you risk the same think legally wise : a big fine.

evilgreg : I am a big fan of free lite apps as a way of trying before buying. I hope more and more developers will think about it.
    As for misleading apps advertising, my experience with Apple's customer services end up to the same results. And I don't have much time to waste for a few bucks.

18. po1ochon thread starter macrumors newbie

There's a major difference between a video game that sucked, involving your tastes and perception, and an app that crashes now and then or is miles away from its advertised description.

19. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

Agreed. We're talking about major publishers and development studios (EA, Activision) that produce videogame titles for xbox, ps3, etc. vs much smaller, and less accountable app development processes.