What happens to missing iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bacaramac, Jun 9, 2008.

1. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Guys, just to let you know I am going back to the store tomorrow, but that begs the following question.....

I stopped by my local AT&T store tonight to return the crappy LG Vu that I was going to use until the iPhone came out. Transaction completed and I asked about the new iPhone of course. Explained my disappointment that Apple let the phone sell out and is making us wait even longer for new model.

He said, yeah we only have one 16Gb left. What, what did you say I was thinking. I asked him if I could buy it, blah, blah, blah. Anyways, he brought the phone out and also asked if I wanted to cancel the Mobile TV for the Vu, etc since I was returning the LG Vu and I said of course.

At the end of the transaction a receipt printed and I NEVER swiped my credit card for the iPhone and didn't sign anything. He put the iPhone and receipt in the bag. I think between the confusion he was having on my account (removing features, etc) he never rang up the iPhone. All he did was scan the barcode on the back of it. My guess is he was in the wrong screen when he scanned it and side tracked to remove features since he was selling and updating at the same time.

I didn't think anything of it until I got home and looked at the receipt, it only shows the account changes he made. The dollar amount says zero and of course no credit card showing on bottom. I didn't see anything about the iPhone and no charge on my credit card (thought maybe he used the credit card from the LG return).

So, I am thinking now what, are they going to report it stolen when they do inventory? Etc, Etc. I would love to keep it and not saying anything, but since I and my family are all on the AT&T network, they have all my info and it would bother me.

Just can't believe they would be so stupid, but what would you guys have done? Since the store closed as I was walking out, I will have to wait until tomorrow.

EDIT: Just talked to customer service and they didn't give a crap. Said they could do nothing and there is no way they charged my account since that is no longer an option. Will have to wait til morning.

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

maybe its all going to be on your first bill?

or perhaps the phone you where returning credited you enough money to afford the iPhone.

3. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Definitely go back to clear things up. Anytime you upgrade your phone your generally just charged on your bill at the end of the month.

There's also a small chance it could be reported as stolen and be turned off(via ATT) or the store will call and make you come in and pay.

4. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

My guess is they will charge it to your first bill. If they had your account info it would probably be pretty easy to do that. Though I would think they would ask if you wanted to charge it to your bill or a credit card.

If you were willing to pay for it why not just do the honest thing and go back to the store and verify what happened? Would avoid any confusion and potential deactivations due to it being reported "stolen". And if you never paid for it...you did steal it...even if it was accidental. Best thing to do is just get it cleared up.

5. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I was thinking that also, but that is the other place I looked as it is bothers me. The LG Vu I got for 275 (50% off of retail). My brother works for Compaq/HP. The iPhone is 500 and I can't believe they would charge this to my account. I hope they did as I hate when things like this happen. Makes me feel like a criminal or something.

Also, the transactions were completely separate so they should not have been able to use the credit. I also received separate receipt for the return.

6. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Doing that tomorrow AM as it was 8PM when I walked out of the store and they were closing. Didn't realize until I got home.