What happens to my 3G when I get iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Soura2112, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

When I get the iPhone 4 it will be my second iPhone so I am curious what happens to my 3G iPhone. Of course no more "phone" but what about the rest? Can I still use the iPod feature, pics etc? I wouldn't think it would get wiped, but it would be cool if it turned into a iPod touch, though I'm guessing wifi is out, and that's okay. Just would be nice to keep the iPod features, and maybe keep the old apps on there.
    So for those who upgraded from 3G to 3GS I'm. Curious what happened. I'm sure this has been yanked about a year ago, but I never looked into it.
    Thanks for any info.

Also I'm thinking of updating my 3G before I start up my iPhone 4, I know I don't get all the updates but i figure better then nothing. I also want to keep my iPhone 3G around incase any failure. My buddy had no phone for 3 days when his went down and that was not good, for we need then A's work phones.
    Thanks again.

2. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Lol don't worry everything stays the same you just won't be able to use the phone feature. Wifi still works, iPod still works,apps stays on it.

You can also use it as your iPod touch from here on out. Remember no 3G either. . . It'll be just like an iPod touch.

3. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

You can always jailbreak it to "hacktivate" it. Everything will work as it should, except for anything having to do with the cell. No phone calls and no 3G. WiFi, BT, etc. all work as they should, I don't see why they wouldn't.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You have to send it to me, I have a friend in Nigeria, you know the story.

On a serious note, keep your old deactivated SIM for your iPhone 3GS. You might need it in the future for a reset. It is useless to others but might be gold to you later.

Dave

5. Built macrumors 68020

Before I got my iPod Touch 64GB for Christmas 2009, I was using my old iPhone 1st gen 8GB as an iPod Touch (no phone service, of course) because I had gotten a 3G Christmas 2008.

Your account switches over in iTunes. I've also had to do it when Apple replaced my iPhone 3G.

6. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

When I've upgraded in the past (and will again to the 4), I've given the previous version to my very grateful teenage son!

7. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

ebay?

umm.. sell it!!! there is no point to keep it you can sync everything to your new phone! apple will replace your phone the same day if it fails! so no point to keep it. it's a waste of money and a opportunity cost lost to keep it..

8. iadam09 macrumors regular

I plan on putting my 3G on airplane mode and using it as an ipod touch lol

9. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Yea, you and 3 million other 3G and 3GS owners upgrading! I expect in the next month or two EBay and CraigsList will be flooded with used iPhones.

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

I use my G1 as a touch. But the 2G i'm going to sell (or is it a 3G?, not sure :) )

11. epi117 macrumors 6502

You can Use skype to make phone calls, you can use skype to make land line calls if you pay an extra 30 bucks a year. You can still use google voice to send sms, this is of course assuming you have wifi at work or home.

12. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

haah yea. but they go for a pretty penny mine is at $400 on ebay right now.. ending in 12 hours

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

14. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Who said wifi won't work. Course it will...

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

from the op.

I know it will work, I don't get rid of my old phones.