What happens to my iPad with 1GB of free when I take 50gb of photos on my iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Sep 23, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

So now with the new icloud photo confusion I can't figure it out, will icloud try to stuff all the pictures on to my ipad? And if I delete them on my ipad they'll get deleted from all devices grr.

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

What happens to my iPad with 1GB of free when I take 50gb of photos on my iph...

If you enable iCloud Photo Library (and that's a big if right now, because for some reason that option doesn't appear to everyone) then all your pictures will be uploaded to the cloud (so you will need at least 50G free in the cloud).

As far as your iPad, you have two options. Download and keep originals (which would download all 50G of photos to your iPad. Obviously this wouldn't work in your case) or optimize device space (which downloads just a smaller low resolution version of each picture to the device so that you can see all the pictures. If you want to share a picture or view a picture then it will download the full resolution version from the cloud at that time).

Obviously the second option is the better one for your situation, however I think you'll still need a bit more free space. My wife has about 25G of photos in the iCloud Photo Library and on her iPad, which is set to optimize device space, photos takes up a bit under 2G for all the low res versions. You may need to free up 4G or so, based on your 50G number, but that's a lot more feasible than trying to free up 50G:)

3. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

iCloud Photo (not Photostream) will store full size photo on the cloud, but keep small size ones on the device.