What Happens to My Mac.com Address After iCloud Switch?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by CodeAndBunny, Jun 28, 2012.

1. CodeAndBunny, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

CodeAndBunny macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an apple email address that I've had for some years now.

I'm working on an iMac using snowleopard.

I've been told that I have to switch to icloud and that my mobileme would expire on June 30th. I'm assuming this date is the same for everyone, I"m unsure.

I would like to know what happens to my email account once mobileme ends on June 30th. Does this mean that I have to renew my account or something??

Also, I did the whole "switch to icloud" thing in their web interface, I believe. However, I only have an imac and an ipad. Where is the icloud functionality coming in?

When I download a song on itunes via my imac, it does ask me on my ipad automatically if i want to sync that song file. Is that the icloud functionality?

I'm worried that I'm going to lose my email address after June 30th or all of my email records. Does anyone know what happens?? How do I know how long my email is working?

EDIT: I received an email confirmation that I'm now switched over to iCloud with the following message: iCloud comes with 5GB of free storage for Mail, Documents, and Backup. As a former MobileMe member, we have provided you with a free 20GB storage upgrade that is good through September 30, 2012. After this date, you can continue with the upgrade at the regular price, or let it expire and use the free 5GB plan.

But this doesn't tell me if I still have to keep paying to use a mac.com address. Does anyone know if we'll still be required to pay for the address itself??

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Your mac.com email address will continue to work and the iCloud account is free. Go to System Preferences>MobileMe>Account and verify that it says, "Your MobileMe account has been upgraded to iCloud."

3. macgrl macrumors 65816

I have an iCloud account and previously had MobileMe. Since switching to iCloud I can still send from my @mac address from mail on my mac and also via the icloud website but am unable to send from my @mac address on my iPhone or iPad. Only my @me address. Does anyone else have this problem?

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no you wont have to pay to keep using your mac.com address, but as I understand it, since you're using snow leopard, you're going to have to change your Mail app settings so you can get your email on your imac with snow leopard

check out this thread for a link that will give you instructions about resetting your email app thread