What happens to my old iPhone when I get a new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anubis, Jun 9, 2009.

1. anubis macrumors 6502a

So I got an original (EDGE) iPhone on iDay and I have just submitted my pre-order for a 3GS. My question is simple: when I activate the 3GS, what happens to the old iPhone? Does it become an iBrick? I'd really like to use it as an iPod Touch. Will I still be able to use the non-phone features?

2. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

3. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Does that mean the old iPhone will be "unlocked"? I plan on selling mine on eBay.

4. TheMBC macrumors 6502

No, it doesn't. You have to unlock it yourself, and I VERY much advise you doing so. You could make a pretty penny by reselling an unlocked iPhone ;)

http://iphone-dev.org and http://blog.iphone-dev.org for more info.

Or basically Google QuickPwn 2.2.5 for Mac/Windows. The original iPhone is the easiest to unlock.

5. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Basically yea, they can't lock your phone again, it's an iPod Touch now basically.

6. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Unlock it --> put it on eBay --> make a fortune ;)

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Does it say ipod at the top of the screen?

I don't want to use it as a touch if its always bugging me or says "no service"

I remember apple posting how to give your old iphone as a gift last year, now I cant find this.

8. Odid macrumors regular

okay so i have iphone 2.2.1 with baseband 02.28.00 which means it's unlockable right? so can I now advertise it as unlocked or?? I installed yellowsn0w on cydia but it doesn't do anything unless I insert a new sim, right?

Also, when I sell it, how do I remove all my memory while still leaving cydia in there? TYIA

9. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Yes you can advertise it as unlocked. All you have to do is restore the iPhone and set it up as new. Then jailbreak it it, and install yellowsnow and thats all!

10. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I say clean it up and put it back in the box. That is what I am going to do with my first gen iPhone. Almost two years and no scratches, dings or dents. Should fetch a few bucks down the road.

11. macmulisha macrumors member

Is that why someone just offered me $400 for my 16 gig white 3g?

12. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

O.K. Maybe I'm not getting it. Are used iPhone 3G's worth this kind of money because you:

A. Won't be tied to a contract
    B. Can unlock them and use a non-ATT cell network
    C. Ebay is a nutty, nutty place
    D. All of the above

13. RayK macrumors 6502

14. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Is this on eBay or Craigslist? I listed my white 16GB 3G on both sites, and it's been up for 2 days with no bids on eBay, and I've gotten about 15 emails on Craigslist, but about half of them are scams, and of the other half, nothing has panned out. Is it still too early in the eBay auction (5 days left) for people to be interested in bidding on it?

15. iFerd macrumors 6502a

If your phone is up for auction on eBay, rather than listed as Buy It Now for a fixed price, you probably shouldn't expect much if any action before close to the auction end. The serious activity in all likelihood will be in the last half hour, maybe even the last five minutes.

I sold an original 8GB iPhone about 10 days ago for $315 plus $10 shipping on eBay. I offered it locked or unlocked. The buyer didn't care.

16. erzeszut macrumors regular

Also, check cashforiphones.com

As of today, they are offering $315 for a working 16GB iPhone 3G.

On Monday, when I made my deal, I locked in at $420. :)

17. macmulisha macrumors member

I replied to an ad on craigslist. I haven't heard back from the guy in a day or two soooo it probably was a scam!

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

just to be sure:

i can unlock my 2G iphone with quickpwn and then run OS 3.0 on it.

I can then put my Simcard from my 3GS in there and use it like my iphone with all services (visual voicmail, text, internet and such)?

What is the chance that this will brick my 2G phone?

I'm asking because I want my 2G to be a backup phone in case my 3GS breaks.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

I sold my 1st gen 16 GB iPhone yesterday to an Apple Store employee!

When I bought my 3GS on Sunday, the employee that helped me select me AT&T plan asked me if I was planning on selling my 1st gen and asked if she could buy it. She gave me her card and told me to call her if I wanted to sell it to her.

The reason she wanted it from me instead of buying from the Apple Store is because:
    • she wanted a 1st gen
    • she wanted a 1st gen data plan
    • she didn't want to sign a 2 year contract
    • they don't get a discount on iPhones

I've had it listed on Craigslist for the past 2 weeks at $300 and did not have one single person email me about it.

So, after making sure I was happy with the 3GS, I called her yesterday, told her that I'd sell it to her and so we met and it was done.

I ended up selling it to her for $250. She was so happy that she told me that if I go to her Apple Store and she's there, I could take advantage of her friends and family discount when I buy stuff! :cool:

20. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

When i sell my phone on ebay, and 'set it up as new phone' prior to shipping with itunes, then do redsn0w and ultrasn0w, once the buyer goes to set it up with their itunes account its going to reset everything...

so im not sure how this is going to work...

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

When I got the 3G, I just used my 2g as an iPod Touch and it works great.

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

so, has anybody successfully found a SAFE way to unlock the 2G iphones that have been "retired"?

It would be good if Apple would allow unlock those phones because they are NOT subsidized and they are more than 2 years old by now.

At least they should allow us to use a ATT Sim card in case a 3G/3GS iphone breaks so that we have a backup phone.

I'm reluctant to hack it because I don't know if future OS upgrades will work and I also don't want to brick it. It's still a good iPod touch.

23. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

You can do that. I ended up having to do that myself last year actually, when the phone portion of my old 3G died, i threw the SIM in my 2G phone, activated in itunes, and was up and running in minutes. Swapped the 3G out at the genuis bar the next day.

24. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

really? the genius told me that is not possible. he said i can use the sim in a cheap phone but not in the old iphone because that is married to the old Sim and can not take another sim.:confused:

when you swapped out the broken G3 did you just put the Sim back into the new G3 and activated via iTunes? or did you get a new Sim with the replacement G3?