What happens to old SIM when you activate iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VivaV, Aug 5, 2010.

1. VivaV macrumors member

This problem has happened to my bf - he didn't want his iphone 4 upgrade so he sent a sealed, unactivated iPhone 4 that he received from the online Apple Store to a family member overseas (he is keeping the contract and line for his 3GS).

We have just learned that the iphone 4 has to be activated with my bf's SSN and zipcode - which he is sort of alright about doing - but he is concerned what happens to the SIM cards during the activation.

Is it obligatory that the iPhone 4 SIM takes over the 3GS line - and the 3GS SIM becomes inactivate - or can you stop the activation process early so that the iPhone 4 micro-sim does not actually take over the line??? In summary, my bf is concerned about being without a phone line (and also a bit uneasy about a SIM card from his line being on the loose overseas).

Can anyone help?

2. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

As soon as you activate the new sim the old one will deactivate. I'm sure you could call AT&T and tell them your situation and they should help you.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

When my wife connected her 3G to iTunes to upgrade from her original iPhone, it asked if this was replacing another phone or not; if you wanted a new line or not; etc.

Although someone who just upgraded to the iPhone 4 would be in a better position to answer that.

Also, an iPhone 4 purchased in the United States will be locked to AT&T; so if it was sent overseas, it won't work with any local carrier without some rather serious work unlocking. (Which only JUST became possible - and if they update the OS, may become impossible.)

4. VivaV thread starter macrumors member

Hi

Thanks for your answers.

Yeah - it seems that the iPhone 4 handles activation differently - in particular one that have come from Apple.com - I guess to dissuade the theft of shipped phones...

You gave me a heart attack about the upgrade of iOS - it hasn't been released right? That is why I am wanting to do this online - so they can jailbreak before the next release from Apple...

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah you activate the new phone (with the new SIM) and the old sim will be disable, your BF just need to go to AT&T and get a new SIM for himself.

Now as mentioned, that phone is LOCKED to AT&T network, it won't work anywhere else, you need to unlock it and keep up with the community in case of future software upgrades. :D