What happens to the iPod double tap in os4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattmarchant, Apr 9, 2010.

1. mattmarchant macrumors newbie

At the moment in OS 3.0 double tapping the home button whilst running the iPod app brings up a simple window for changing your tracks whilst in apps

With the introduction of the double tap to the home button to bring up the multitask option what is going to happen to the the in app iPod controls?

I no its not a biggy but I use this feature alot when im travelling etc.

2. Cupra macrumors regular

on one video i saw, it shows that this option is no longer configurable !

which sucks big time! i love double tap to get to my fav contacts.

on os4 the settings>general>homescreen just shows the search options, nothing else :eek:

3. mattmarchant thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh thats no good. maybe it will be available under a triple tap or a quadruple tap or maybe even a quintuple tap just like Peter Serafinowicz's mactini

4. Mr dj mo macrumors member

So to allow "multitasking" they have removed the ability to quick change tracks??

5. Cupra macrumors regular

im sure when the ipod is playing you can still pop up the controls but the options for it are not there so who knows

6. anthdci macrumors 6502

I think ill stick to proswitcher which gives me the option :cool:

7. w0nker macrumors member

w0nker

Double clicking on the lockscreen still brings up iPod controls.

8. Mr dj mo macrumors member

Awesome, that must be the work around then, still a pain that you are going to have to lock you're phone then double tap to skip songs or pause.

9. JellyUK macrumors newbie

I'm really interested in this. I tend to have my music on shuffle, then just use forward skip through tracks until i find on that i like.

Can someone with 4.0 installed confirm whether you can call up ipod controls at all? It makes sense to me to bring them up along with the weird task manager that apple are using, at the top of the screen.

Cheers guys.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

From what I can tell there are some settings missing.

In my case if I double tab + hold the home button it will open my phone favorites (which is the action I previously had set up for the double tap before the update). I saw someone mentioning that for them the double tap + hold opened the camera.

So apparently, at this point, the action you had setup for the double tap in 3.0 will now work by double tapping + hold but there is no way to change it in the settings yet.

11. drat76 macrumors newbie

Double-Tap and Hold???

Just upgraded my 3GS 16GB to iOS 4.0, em enjoying the new features, but cannot get the 'double-tap and hold' feature to operate. Double tap works (initiate multi tasking) single-tap and hold works (initiate voice control) but no double-tap and hold...??? Any ideas?:confused::confused::confused:

12. Wailord macrumors 6502

Double tap and hold is no longer available. They took it out. :(

13. drat76 macrumors newbie

Two way to quick change tracks... both are a little slower, but better than nothing! First, lock phone then initiate iPod controls as per normal by double tapping the home button whilst the phone is locked. Second, double tap the home button to initiate the multitasking feature, now swipe the multitasking pane at the bottom from left to right (swipe right) this reveals the quick change iPod features, a link to the iPod app, and a screen 'roll-lock' button. This last button prevents the screen from automatically rotating the screen when the iPhone is moved. This is universal and dominant, which means you must unlock it via the same process of locking it, to enable the feature in desired applications.

Hope this helps :)

14. drat76 macrumors newbie

Thank you. Yes, they changed the action of the feature 'double tap' from a semi programable feature to multitasking.
    Though i have noticed various people claiming to be able to open their 'phone book favourites' app when they double-tap and hold. This feature does not operate on my current iPhone...?

15. drat76 macrumors newbie

My apologies... i just re-read your post and noticed you did refer to double tap and hold...:eek: