what happens to the old stuff?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by pieseller, Nov 25, 2007.

1. pieseller macrumors member

when apple launch a new product, say the new imacs or ipod classics, what do they do with the old products that are being replaced? do they send them back to the factory for spare parts or sell them off cheap on their website. any ideas of what they do?

2. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

Well, usually Apple tries to sell all of their old stuff by offering discounts before a new product is released. However, to the best of my knowledge iPods, Macs, etc. that never sell are sold at a discounted rate to authorized resellers.

3. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I think apple also keep some back for replacements under warranty. I remember my friends 4G clickwheel iPod broke. It was still under warranty and was told by apple store that it would have to be a complete replacement. Instead of getting the newer 5G ipod with video (Which had been out for nearly 6 months at the time) he got another 4G replacement.

4. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Isn't there a clearance section on the Apple site or is that just for refurbs?

5. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

The 4G replacement was most likely a refurb, most iPod replacements are refurbs so they don't lose as much money.

In response to maestro55, I never noticed the clearance section :). Looks like they are unopened/used products because they are separate from the refurb section.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

my guess is they sell these unsold systems as refurbished units. what else could they do with them?

7. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Why sell it as a refurbs when the could sell it For more at a regular clearance price?

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

why not, indeed. however, i haven't seen apple products on clearance that wasn't refurbished. where else could the leftover stock go?

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I thought they waited until they had enough to fill a giant palate, and then floated them off into the Pacific...?