Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2002
Today is the last day for me to initiate a return my iPhone 15 Pro and I am debating on returning it for a refund and purchasing the 15 PM instead. Here's my trade-in status for my iPhone X per Apple:

Our trade-in partner has inspected your device and has confirmed your trade-in value. Your trade-in will be completed soon, and there’s nothing more that you need to do.

So does anyone know what happens if I decide to return my 15 Pro? I am thinking maybe they will offer an Apple store credit rather than sending back my trade-in since it's so far along in the process.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Someone posted a similar story recently where there were furious that Apple returned their trade-in and debited their CC in this exact scenario.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2002
Someone posted a similar story recently where there were furious that Apple returned their trade-in and debited their CC in this exact scenario.
Hmmmm...I did a search before posting-didn't see that one. Seems counterproductive to return a trade-in rather than just issuing a credit for the amount. They haven't applied a credit yet to my card so there's that as well. I guess I can just trade it in again for the PM if they return it.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Reactions: Timpetus and PieMac

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
I guess it depends on how it is done? I did the ACMI on my apple watch ultra 2 and traded in my first gen Apple Watch Ultra and when i returned the ultra 2, i was sent an email with the apple gift card for the value of the Apple Watch

Reactions: DarkRaider

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2002
I guess it depends on how it is done? I did the ACMI on my apple watch ultra 2 and traded in my first gen Apple Watch Ultra and when i returned the ultra 2, i was sent an email with the apple gift card for the value of the Apple Watch
That's what I'm thinking might happen in this case because they have already approved my trade-in value and it's close to be completed.

Last edited:

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
Today is the last day for me to initiate a return my iPhone 15 Pro and I am debating on returning it for a refund and purchasing the 15 PM instead. Here's my trade-in status for my iPhone X per Apple:

Our trade-in partner has inspected your device and has confirmed your trade-in value. Your trade-in will be completed soon, and there’s nothing more that you need to do.

So does anyone know what happens if I decide to return my 15 Pro? I am thinking maybe they will offer an Apple store credit rather than sending back my trade-in since it's so far along in the process.
This cancels the trade in Applebwill return your trade in phone to you. Happened to me last week. Nothing you can do about it

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Depends on if you trade in your phone in store or by mail. I had both scenarios happen to be with the 15 release (on one occasion with a phone that was bought for my in-laws). If you trade in in-store, then phone instantly becomes apple's and they cannot return it if you return your new device, they send you a gift card via email with the phone's value. If you send the tradein by mail, they mail the phone back to you if you return your new device before the tradein has been processed by the 3rd party company. What stinks is that there is no way to track this return, but thankfully I received my tradein back in the same condition a few days after returning my new device.

Now if you do a mail in trade in and they "process" your trade in and say "Trade in complete", then you return your new device, likely they will issue you a gift card in that case.

Reactions: PieMac

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2002
Now if you do a mail in trade in and they "process" your trade in and say "Trade in complete", then you return your new device, likely they will issue you a gift card in that case.
This is exactly what will happen. I just got the email confirming completion of my trade-in and it states that if I decide to return the new iPhone I will receive an Apple Gift card in the amount of the trade-in value.

Reactions: kitt9000

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hmmmm...I did a search before posting-didn't see that one. Seems counterproductive to return a trade-in rather than just issuing a credit for the amount. They haven't applied a credit yet to my card so there's that as well. I guess I can just trade it in again for the PM if they return it.
They give you more for the trade-in than they would if you weren't buying a new phone from them precisely because they are making an additional profit from the sale of the new phone that counterbalances the lesser profit from paying you more for the trade-in.

DarkRaider

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
How long did it take for your trade in to come back to you and were you able to track that return?

DarkRaider

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Depends on if you trade in your phone in store or by mail. I had both scenarios happen to be with the 15 release (on one occasion with a phone that was bought for my in-laws). If you trade in in-store, then phone instantly becomes apple's and they cannot return it if you return your new device, they send you a gift card via email with the phone's value. If you send the tradein by mail, they mail the phone back to you if you return your new device before the tradein has been processed by the 3rd party company. What stinks is that there is no way to track this return, but thankfully I received my tradein back in the same condition a few days after returning my new device.

Hi, I just returned my new MacBook Pro while my trade in is on the way to Apple. I understand that this means that they’ll just send my trade in back. Do you know if the status on the order changes to reflect that? How soon does it do so if the status does change? Currently, my status reads “On the way to trade-in partner”. Curious if that will change to say “trade-in cancelled” or something similar.

Also how many days did it take for the trade in to get back to you? Thanks!

DarkRaider

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
This cancels the trade in Applebwill return your trade in phone to you. Happened to me last week. Nothing you can do about it
Did you have any tracking for the trade-in return? My trade-in was also canceled but my device is on its way to Apple right now. I am hoping I can track the return back to me, although another commenter here mentioned that they didn’t have any tracking information.

DarkRaider

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Hey just curious how long it took for your trade in to be returned to you? My trade in was just received by Apple and it needs to come back to me some I returned my new device. Also, did you get any sort of tracking number for the return? Who was the carrier for the return? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.