What happens warrantee-wise if I brick my 3.0 iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisa107, Mar 31, 2009.

1. chrisa107 macrumors member

Question to all of you developers out there - would my phone still be covered under AppleCare if it bricks or something happens to it while testing 3.0? I just signed up for the developer program, so I've got access to the firmware, but am wary over the chance of something happening to my only phone.

I wouldn't be doing any kind of jailbreaking, tethering or other such things - just the new firmware, but want to make sure that if something DOES happen and I mess something up, Apple will still fix my phone.

2. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

A better question is why wouldn't they?

3. synagence macrumors 6502a

Applecare includes specific exemption for software classed as Beta in the small-print

In otherwords ... unless you need to use it for dev purposes leave it alone

4. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Sorry but whether or not this is true, it does not apply in the real world. I've been a dev for a long time. Do you think I would still be a dev if Apple turned me away during issues I periodically experienced while using their beta software? Would anyone bother?

LOL!

5. JPyre macrumors 6502

I was running 3.0 and got a warranty swap on the spot due to significant battery issues not related to 3.0, but then again the lead genius is a long time friend...

I have never in my life seen a bricked phone that couldnt be restored to some working os version, so unless you have a hardware prob or cant downgrade it yourself you should have no need to even worry about it.

6. chrisa107 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was figuring - even if there's some exclusion in AppleCare for development purposes, it would seem pretty cheap for Apple to turn away a paid developer using their own product.