What happens when a beta expires? (Need help!)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by DanR16, Jul 16, 2012.

1. DanR16 macrumors member

I am going abroad soon and I am taking my iPad running iOS 6 beta 2, it expires when I'm abroad with no access to a computer. If it expires before I get a chance to update it what happens? Will it brick my iPad completely or will it just keep telling me to update?

2. paulcdb macrumors regular

3. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure it will expose you to immediate arrest and a trip to Romania for rendition followed by an extended stay in Cuba (and not the Castro part).

4. DanR16 thread starter macrumors member

That won't be very good for apple if it happens on the plane!

5. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502

you guys are funny,
    lol

it will keep working, the only thing you won't be able to do is restore the iPad back to beta 2, once the betas expire can't restore back to them. only option is to download the beta 3 file, and restore to that.

part from that it wil work fine, might tell you to update maybe

6. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

When the beta expires your iOS device will not get any further than the lock screen. You then have to update to the latest beta or roll back to the current 5.x release.

This is what happened during the 5.x betas, the devices would be unusable until updated or rolled back. Note that the beta does not expire when the next beta revision is released, it expires a week or 2 later and thats when your device becomes useless.

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

If you're going away and won't have Internet access for a while, go back to 5.1.1. If you have any sort of wifi you can update OTA to the next beta, but if there's any risk at all, go back to iOS 5 or your device won't boot.

8. DanR16 thread starter macrumors member

There's a hotel nearby with wifi but I was just wondering wether I could update OTA after it expired.

9. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

You cannot do anything on the device itself after the beta expires as the device goes into an 'activation' loop and you are stuck at the lock screen. As long as you upgrade before the expiry you will have no issues. Beta 3 is out today and it will be live for a few weeks.

10. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn