Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Do all iOS devices just automatically un-enroll from betas and continue to get updates as normal until re-enrolled?

Or will they continue on the beta cycle?

Thanks

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Oh ok. I was thinking of major updates. So if they come out with beta 10.1 etc in a month it should continue updating then?
That's right. And it's not a sure thing you'll need to get a new profile for even major updates. Prior to now, the profile name had the iOS version in it. Now they don't, plus the certificate doesn't expire until 2019 (though that's normal).

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That's right. And it's not a sure thing you'll need to get a new profile for even major updates. Prior to now, the profile name had the iOS version in it. Now they don't, plus the certificate doesn't expire until 2019 (though that's normal).

It will likely always continue to have seperate for iOS versions (iOS 8 had its own, iOS 9 had its own and iOS 10 has its own, iOS 11 will have its own.) The reason is typically the final update to the previous iOS is usually in beta around the same time as the new iOS beta begins. It has to be seperate profiles so that people could test say 10.4 and others can test 11.0, so the Software Update knows which beta build to grab and see.

iMacedonian

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2015
Brno, CZ
So if I update to the iOS 10 GM now, and remove the profile later, I will be able to receive the official updates from Apple and not the betas?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So if I update to the iOS 10 GM now, and remove the profile later, I will be able to receive the official updates from Apple and not the betas?

Yes. All the profile does is allow the device to see and download beta builds in the Software Update. If you remove the profile your device will no longer see future beta builds and as normal will only see released software updates.

Reactions: iMacedonian

iMacedonian

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2015
Brno, CZ
Yes. All the profile does is allow the device to see and download beta builds in the Software Update. If you remove the profile your device will no longer see future beta builds and as normal will only see released software updates.
Thanks! That clarified my dilemma :)

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Future betas will most likely require a new beta profile.

This is not true. In fact the iOS 9 and iOS 10 beta profile are exactly the same other than the expiration date... this profile will continue to work for all iOS betas until it expires in May of 2019... At witch time a new profile will need to be installed.

If you no longer want to receive beta updates remove the profile by browsing to settings, general, profile, iOS 10 beta profile, then click delete.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
This is not true. In fact the iOS 9 and iOS 10 beta profile are exactly the same other than the expiration date... this profile will continue to work for all iOS betas until it expires in May of 2019... At witch time a new profile will need to be installed.

If you no longer want to receive beta updates remove the profile by browsing to settings, general, profile, iOS 10 beta profile, then click delete.
So you we could have installed iOS 9 beta profile from last year and got iOS 10 updates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.