Other What happens when Apple replace faulty locked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Newjackboy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

if I take a faulty iPhone that is locked to a particular network, into the Apple store , and they replace it - do they then lock the replacement iPhone too?

Any way you can ask them not to?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If they are replacing the device under warranty work or return exchange, it will be of like kind and color (as far as I am aware of).

You will need to speak with your carrier about unlocking your phone. That is not Apple's function to help you sidestep that restriction set by the carrier.

3. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

No they are obliged to lock it to the appropriate network. They will not unlock the phone for you.

4. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

You can tell them that your phone was unlocked and the replacement will also be unlocked. I managed to unlock a phone this way 7-8 years back. I don’t know if this still works now but you can try. Be prepared to act dumb if caught LMAO.

5. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

It’s locked on the back end similar to the warranty is provisioned. The settings are transferred over.

6. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

Apple will replace your locked iPhone which its activation policy will carry over to the replacement iPhone. When unlocking the device, you may want to unlock the original device you had given Apple so once that device unlocked it will carry over to your current replacement device.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

that doesn't work anymore. their system has the activation policy on record and it's all done on the iTunes servers. the only way to get it unlocked officially is via your carrier. or you can jailbreak and do the unofficial unlocks

8. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Activation profile is copied over. If you phone is locked, you will get a locked replacement.